DealerSocket

www.dealersocket.com
There are newer employer reviews for DealerSocket

It's a job, not a career. Get some experience and get out.

I have been working at DealerSocket

Pros

(This feedback is for a technical role and doesn't necessarily reflect the sales or strategic services departments or leadership)
- Engineering sets its technical goals high. You will likely get exposed to a variety of technologies.
- It's easy to get a job in Customer Support. Not a knock on the staff. Previous experience really isn't required.
- Jonathan is a very driven leader and likable guy. Feel free to approach him.
- If you're LDS (Mormon), you will have additional opportunities open to you.
- San Clemente is a nice town. It's at the far end of Orange County, but you can eat lunch at the beach.
- Employee HMO and Dental premiums are covered.
- Recent acquisition may mean a needed dose of corporate maturity is on the way.
- Company events, while scarce, seem to get better and better
- 24 Hour Fitness next door
- New building with game ("Recharge") room and large lunch room.
- Vending machines with $.25 sodas

Cons

- Management is mostly made up of two types: 1) Friends of the top brass and 2) early hires who are tenured by default. Because of this, some do not have the technical knowledge of their subordinates.
- It's easy to get a job. Hiring could be more stringent.
- Obvious favoritism toward fellow LDS. Good for you if you're in the club.
- Turnover has been high (good news for you, if you're looking for a job). We've been losing long-time, quality employees.
- Do not believe the "work/life balance" speech. If you are in a technical role, work will be your life. Expect long hours and no overtime.
- Pay is below average. Negotiate hard out of the gate because you won't get a big jump later.
- Benefits are sub-par. Matching the 401k or additional insurance premium subsidies would go a long way.
- After all these years we are still hiring our friend's kids. Please stop that. We aren't a start-up anymore.
- To many managers, failure is not an option. They don't handle it well. You will learn to fear failure.
- This is not a place of innovation. The development disposition is reactive and often imitates. This is an unfortunate top-down tenet.
- Training and furthering your education are on you. Do not expect help here.
- Development process is often hectic and results in half-baked code going into production. Job security for customer support when the phones light up.
- Communication is very poor. We were recently acquired. Employees are not kept in the loop.
- Once you leave the company, you're dead to them.

Please focus on your employees. Draw them in and show them that they are appreciated. Buying them with a party or leftover t-shirts is not what I am talking about.

50 Other Employee Reviews for DealerSocket (View Most Recent)

Temporary, stressful, not great overall

I worked at DealerSocket full-time

Pros

-Benefits, perks, etc are pretty decent

-Most of the people are good to work with.

-If you work as a consultant you get to work from home most of the time or in a certain area. You don't have too many people looking over your shoulder and critiquing every detail you do on a day by day basis.

-The yearly consultant retreats are always a good time.

Cons

- High turnover rate overall. Losing a ton of veteran employees now. Hint hint.

-They may say there is a lot of growth opportunity but it is very hard to do so especially as a consultant.

- Execution of new releases are done poorly causing a lot of headaches for us.

- The management, director and overall all higher up roles are basically all filled by those of the Mormon faith.

- In turn, If you are LDS(Mormon) you seem to get better treatment/care. So, if you are not you feel less important, less cared for.

-HR is not great. You feel like you are beat down or scolded when you ask about anything.

-They seem to hire anyone they can with a degree and the training is rush. This in turns leads to poorly trained employees.

-They stress to you you will have a good work/life balance ratio yet the expectations they give you and the lack of time to do it in has that balance extremely skewed towards more work and less life.

-The majority of the new hires seem to be from BYU, another LDS heavy school or friends of the family and that tends to lead to more favoritism.

-They are constantly trying to bring on as many new dealerships as they can as fast as they can to grow. We are getting more dealerships then we have consultants to handle them. In turn it adds more work on us and we can't handle them all. Then when the dealerships leave it is almost always blamed on the consultant.

Act like you care a bit more about those of the non-Mormon religion, stop with the favoritism. Increase training efficiency and quit trying to rush that process. If you want to say there is a good work/life balance then change the processes to make it so. Quit trying to gain as many dealerships as you can when there are so many broken processes within the company.

Frustration, stress and complete lack of care...

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Clemente, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Clemente, CA

I have been working at DealerSocket (more than a year)

Pros

Fun industry, 24 Hour next door and a ping pong table

Cons

- Extremely bad management, worst VP of Engineering and Directors I have ever worked with.

- Horrible planning from Directors. They never have a game plan nor do they stick to one.

- Hard work is never given praise

- New company policies turning the place from a nice fun environment to a boring lame politically run corporation

- The best of the best are not rewarded for their hard work or extra contributions to the company. In turn they are morally beat down and end up leaving. So the best leave and the worst stay.

- Bad environments to work in. Horrible broken legacy code, bad planning process and engineers that have no business working in the industry leading the way.

- Dreadfully awful benefits. 450+ employees with insanely crap medical, dental and vision.

- WORST HR I'VE EVER SEEN. Incompetent, lazy and useless are just a few words to start describing HR.

- Completely stupid deployments. Late night deployments with expected late night phone calls to fix others bad code issues.

- Massive QA department, customer support and builders that could be cut in half and still over staffed.

Trust your employees. You have no skill in certain areas and need to allow them to do their jobs. Take planning lessons.

There are newer employer reviews for DealerSocket