DealerTrack is a Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Success, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Success, NY

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies

Pros

DT's people are by far the best reason to work for this company.

Cons

The industry is in a tough downturn and makes for a challenging work environment.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people and continue to push on cooperation between product teams.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Poor career growth and limited opportunities

Current Employee - Programmer
    Current Employee - Programmer

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies

Pros

The starting pay scales are good.
    Dealertrack has a superior benefits package, the best of all is the tuition reimbursement program. It offers a reimbursement of $10,000/year on a university degree program. I believe that few companies match that amount
    Their bonus rate has been far excellent compared to the bonus rate in other IT companies where my friends worked.
    Dealertrack is an industry leader in its area of business, which is auto-finance. It has a good brand value in the retail automotive industry.

Cons

In the few years of my experience as a full time employee, I feel that opportunities for professional growth in this company are very limited.
    There is poor communication across departments. I'm a tech person and feel be to relegated to one distant corner without any need to know about the business side of things.
    At the end of the day, managers seem to be concerned only on the delivery of the products without sparing a thought on the career growth of the team members. There also seems to be a great disparity between team members in the opportunities they get.

The starting pay packages and benefits are good, but, you'd get some peanuts as pay hike every year.

Dealertrack is very slow to adapt new technology. In our department, we tend to spend too much time on the business as usual tasks than getting to work on new projects.

Advice to Management

Please focus on the improving the career growth opportunities for the team members. The yearly HR surveys and interaction with the HR team are good steps to address the issues.

Mediocre company. Too many politics.

Current Employee - Senior Programmer in Lake Success, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer in Lake Success, NY

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies

Pros

Benefits Ok. There is flexibility with working from home.

Cons

Politics, politics, politics. There is very, very little communication between (or even within departments). Employees not located in New York are treated like second class citizens. DealerTrack is a software development company that is very slow to investigate or adapt to new software technologies...they often times have the blinders on too much.

Advice to Management

For the most part, I'm very satisfied with my senior management. The one and only gripe I have is that the chain of command/department structure on paper looks ok, but in reality is very muddled.