Dean Health Plan - Absent Leadership

Former Employee - Finance in Madison, WI
Former Employee - Finance in Madison, WI

I worked at Dean Health Systems full-time

Pros

Low pressure. Often non-confrontational. Dominant within market.

Cons

Many employees continue in their tasks putting in 1-2 hours of real work per day. Huge issues with management being unaware/unaccepting of the reality of low employee productivity. Conflicts of interest tolerated within reporting relationships. Many spend time gossipping, on the phone, shopping, visiting, or away from the job. Accountability is not there - for those workers or for the leaders who tolerate it. Workloads are poorly distributed, with those who are favored having far less. Some employees apparently set their own hours daily, wear what they please, and spend most of their days talking. Somehow the work gets done but not due to the interest or participation of leadership. Many employees could be let go today with tremendous savings to the plan - and productivity would actually increase because they wouldn't be there dragging down the real workers.

Advice to Management

Engage. Spend some time and do an analysis of staffing and who does what, who is cooperative and positive, and who is poisonous. Weed out those who are bad rather than ignoring or promoting. Don't be so disengaged and unaware of this; instead, cull the workforce and promote performers.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Devastating decline in Physician, Nursing and Advanced Practitioner morale

Former Employee - Physician
    Former Employee - Physician

I worked at Dean Health Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are still some staff committed to quality care and are attempting to maintain ethical practices.

Cons

This is one person's opinion, compiled from working in direct patient care at this organization for more than 10 years. I have lived and heard many horror stories. I left on favorable terms. I deliberately denied what was happening for as long as i could, and left before I blew up at Management and was escorted to the door with a cardboard box of my belongings. If I remain anonymous, I could seek employment there again with a reasonable chance of being rehired. But I would only do so if it was a choice between feeding myself and family or going hungry. Fair warning to those who do not already know: Dean's CEO has been named to the prestigious Medicare Payment Advisory Commission. One can surmise that what we experience(d) at Dean is going to continue on a far grander scale. Morale is terrible. Anxiety is high among clinical staff who express concern that the intense emphasis on 'process improvement' (from a financial point of view) APPEARS TO BE degrading the quality of the care we provide. The current CEO told us at the outset of his tenure in 2006, "The train is leaving the station. You either get on the train or get off of it. There are no other choices". It would have been more honest to admit, "the economics of healthcare stink. We're going to make ourselves look like The Mayo Clinic to keep patients, but we're really going to be a ruthless, privatized version of the British National Health Service when we're done". After the conspicuous April, 2009 layoff of 90 employees in Labor-friendly Dane County our CEO has become more subtle. Not too subtle, though, or the coercive effect of fear is lost. Longstanding work relationships with colleagues APPEAR TO BE deliberately disrupted by continuous, ongoing and unexpected terminations, reassignments to new locations or the addition of new shifts to staff. As in divorce, one can have collaborative divorce or an adversarial one. DHS strategy APPEARS TO BE above and beyond the call of 'lean' business practice. This APPEARS TO BE to be a deliberate degradation of group/departmental cohesion among physicians, mid-levels, nursing staff, etc. The APPARENT reason? Without group cohesion of long term work relationships, clinicians can't resist policies bad for patient care. In this environment, managerial staff with little or no medical background APPEAR TO HAVE COMPLETE control over a physician, PA, NP, nurse, lab tech with decades of clinical experience. Middle-aged staff who have accrued vacation time and benefits APPEAR TO experience extra scrutiny, unplanned retirement, and harsh termination policies. Many good practitioners have left or are looking, or simply slog along doing the best they can until they burn out. With the vicious competition between healthcare organizations in South Central Wisconsin, no one can be confident they will find anything better within 100 miles. Longstanding employees claim they have been denied vacation requests due to staffing shortages directly related to lean business practices. Staff have stated they were reassigned to areas where they have no clinical experience. Middle-aged physicians, Nurse Practitioners and PA's with many years of experience state that they have been 'written up' for criticizing newly hired, low cost and undertrained support staff with a clear warning to 'deal with it' or face termination. Providers at some clinics claim that they do not have sufficient staff to meet demand of patients because of attrition, and are forced to rely upon questionably trained or exhausted support staff. I don't know that there is any employment to be had in health care which is going to be both secure and ethical, but if you are applying for a job here....just try not to think too hard about why you went into Health Care in the first place-unless it was to make a few people at the top rich (or to become one of those people yourself).

Advice to Management

The company isn't worth saving if it can no longer fulfill its mission statement.

2. A place of growth and learning

Current Employee - Clinic Manager in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Clinic Manager in Madison, WI

I have been working at Dean Health Systems

Pros

Ultimate goal of being patient centered makes me proud of the work that is done. Very much a team approach to the work done. The voice of all employees at all levels is heard when looking at improving processes

Cons

Our patient population is heavy MA and Medicare which reimburses us very little for services. This forces the organization to be very focused on cost and constantly balancing expenditures. Not necessarily something that is in Deans control, but sometimes it would be nice to be able to spend more on things such as employee events, furniture, staffing.