Deb Shops

www.debshops.com
There are newer employer reviews for Deb Shops

See the fruits of your labor delivered in positive business profit, only singular management recognition.

Current Employee - Manager
Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time

Pros

Makes you a hard worker (in high volume). Disorganized corporate functions and contacts, do not expect support, inconsistent management, low pay, mid-level demographic, territorial/inexperienced leaders, do not consistently give "six month evaluations" or raises despite handbook citation, think they can "rebrand" (rebrand is pathetic excuse for what they are trying to do, I've worked in a rebrand store and it's pathetic in comparison to what they've raved about. They only have a future because they have been around long enough for mothers to bring their daughters, prom season and homecoming season and because they do not compete with big brand demographics like H&M, Charlotte Rouse, Forever 21.

Cons

Some district managers will commend you and promise things either beyond their reach or beyond what they will (but can) actually deliver, despite the, dated, "handbook"; contact your sm and delcare your problem and it will be resolved in 7 days and then contact your district manager or corporate. Doesn't happen. Obvious favoritism.Great experience in 'run your own business' - great for a first time manager. It seems like they promote quickly. I knew a store manager who went from associate to store manager in a year before asked to leave. Don't think it will be good resume padding - it isn't. If you are a store manager (don't come here) or become one through this company, don't expect to be prepared to an ACTUAL store based on your experience - most definitely through the experience you gained here. ATPs rose while nothing else did - unfair hour/store allocation.

Know who you are working for and actually respond to your talent campaign - don't play safe and don't play favorites. I know some (within the company!) who could do what I do or more. If you can't make it happen, and know how quantify a promotion viable to your superiors, then move on or learn how to make it happen. While people can make your business, people can most surely break it.

123 Other Employee Reviews for Deb Shops (View Most Recent)

It was ok.

I have been working at Deb Shops (more than a year)

Pros

I thought the product was of great value. The store was very new so it did well.

Cons

Merchandising looks terrible. No sensors so shrink was very hard to control. No customer service training program to help with sales or LP. When I left the company I suggested that they promote one associate and they promoted another (in which later was fired). This made me feel like my opinion was not valued, especially since I know one's strengths and opportunities...

Raise your standards!

Current Asst. Mgr

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- 40% Discount
    - Getting to see the clearance deals first
    - They FINALLY got rid of LTO50
    - I believe that the new CEO, Dawn, is going to be running things similarly to how the old owners did. Markdowns, Clinics, and Promos will have certain days so that we are able to plan accordingly.
    - Clear cut goals for KPIs.

Cons

- Lazy upper management. While supposed to be physically out on the floor helping you, they are on the phone or their laptops in the back pretending to be doing work.
    - This company is in need of markdown/promo guns. Giving employees a list of 87943275987 SKUs wastes a massive amount of time. I'm unsure if this company even has an Operations Manager, but if not - they need one.
    - I've worked for this company for 2+ years. The different trainings for the sales associates have varied greatly. It's gotten to the point where some of the more veteraned sales girls don't even know what I'm talking about when I train the new girls. Once sales girls are trained, that's it. There's never more training. Of course there is "coaching in the moment" and the need for mandated store meetings with no payroll, but there needs to be company wide trainings to get everyone on the same page.
    - PAYROLL. For the love of God and all that is holy, please go back to the matrix. I don't think it's right that we have 230 hours for a high volume store.
    - There is not even a hint of work/life balance. None. Especially not for management. I am consistently called on every single day I have off. I'm only an Assistant, but since our store doesn't have a Store Manager and I'm the most experienced, all of the responsibility falls on me.
    - If you have any type of post high school education, this company does not seem to value it. Having a degree in the field, I was offered the same compensation rate as those without one. When I inquired about moving up to a district manager role, I was laughed at. I was told I would have to be a Store Manager first. My dream career is to be valued by a company and to be given challenging work. Working for Deb Shops does not fit that dream.
    - I don't think that the Orion survey is a good tool. I interviewed a young girl who worked at a competitor. She was totally dedicated to our brand, engaged our customers during her "on the floor interview exercise," and came with a lot of retail experience. This sweet, innocent, church-going girl was denied employment because she didn't answer the correct combination of answers to the Orion. It certainly needs to be reevaluated.
    - Absolutely NO positive feedback from upper management. It creates a depressing work environment and minimal desire to help the company achieve KPIs.

This is targeted towards management above a Store Manager: Please, if you see your stores struggling, get your hands dirty and help them. Sitting in the back gossiping to your other SMs about how poorly one of your SMs are doing is not helping.

There are newer employer reviews for Deb Shops