Deb Shops

www.debshops.com
  www.debshops.com
There are newer employer reviews for Deb Shops

It was ok.

I have been working at Deb Shops (more than an year)

Pros

I thought the product was of great value. The store was very new so it did well.

Cons

Merchandising looks terrible. No sensors so shrink was very hard to control. No customer service training program to help with sales or LP. When I left the company I suggested that they promote one associate and they promoted another (in which later was fired). This made me feel like my opinion was not valued, especially since I know one's strengths and opportunities...

Raise your standards!

103 Other Employee Reviews for Deb Shops (View Most Recent)

Current Asst. Mgr

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- 40% Discount
    - Getting to see the clearance deals first
    - They FINALLY got rid of LTO50
    - I believe that the new CEO, Dawn, is going to be running things similarly to how the old owners did. Markdowns, Clinics, and Promos will have certain days so that we are able to plan accordingly.
    - Clear cut goals for KPIs.

Cons

- Lazy upper management. While supposed to be physically out on the floor helping you, they are on the phone or their laptops in the back pretending to be doing work.
    - This company is in need of markdown/promo guns. Giving employees a list of 87943275987 SKUs wastes a massive amount of time. I'm unsure if this company even has an Operations Manager, but if not - they need one.
    - I've worked for this company for 2+ years. The different trainings for the sales associates have varied greatly. It's gotten to the point where some of the more veteraned sales girls don't even know what I'm talking about when I train the new girls. Once sales girls are trained, that's it. There's never more training. Of course there is "coaching in the moment" and the need for mandated store meetings with no payroll, but there needs to be company wide trainings to get everyone on the same page.
    - PAYROLL. For the love of God and all that is holy, please go back to the matrix. I don't think it's right that we have 230 hours for a high volume store.
    - There is not even a hint of work/life balance. None. Especially not for management. I am consistently called on every single day I have off. I'm only an Assistant, but since our store doesn't have a Store Manager and I'm the most experienced, all of the responsibility falls on me.
    - If you have any type of post high school education, this company does not seem to value it. Having a degree in the field, I was offered the same compensation rate as those without one. When I inquired about moving up to a district manager role, I was laughed at. I was told I would have to be a Store Manager first. My dream career is to be valued by a company and to be given challenging work. Working for Deb Shops does not fit that dream.
    - I don't think that the Orion survey is a good tool. I interviewed a young girl who worked at a competitor. She was totally dedicated to our brand, engaged our customers during her "on the floor interview exercise," and came with a lot of retail experience. This sweet, innocent, church-going girl was denied employment because she didn't answer the correct combination of answers to the Orion. It certainly needs to be reevaluated.
    - Absolutely NO positive feedback from upper management. It creates a depressing work environment and minimal desire to help the company achieve KPIs.

This is targeted towards management above a Store Manager: Please, if you see your stores struggling, get your hands dirty and help them. Sitting in the back gossiping to your other SMs about how poorly one of your SMs are doing is not helping.

Cool people, nice discount

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Deb Shops part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-coworkers
    -discount
    -get to do a lot of merchandising

Cons

-low pay
    -expected to do everything a manager does as an associate
    -have to be on top of customers 24.7 which makes you seem obnoxious

There are newer employer reviews for Deb Shops