There are newer employer reviews for Debenhams

First job, was a bit disappointed

Current Employee - Sales Adviser
Current Employee - Sales Adviser

I have been working at Debenhams part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Majority of the staff friendly, always had enough staff in our department

Cons

No training given apart from health and safety and till training - had to learn everything by asking questions, was never given a uniform the whole time I was there, lots of pressure to open accounts (even though I never received account training!) not given a break at all if working a 5 hour shift, senior positions not very sympathetic towards new people. Too many staff, I would be left alone for my whole shift "tidying" despite there being nothing left to tidy.

Advice to Management

Try and be more sympathetic towards the new people, don't expect us to know everything from the second we start - especially if you're not going to teach it to us in the first place! Don't make us too scared to ask questions by getting annoyed with us when we do ask!

Other Employee Reviews for Debenhams

1. The People Make it Good.

Current Employee - Food Services Adviser in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Food Services Adviser in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Debenhams part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible with hours, give great feedback, great incentives to get accounts/make sales/get good customer feedback, your own line manager is usually fantastic, keep up with how other branches are doing and clear targets, pay is better than minimum. Great people to work with. Banter.

Cons

Some other people in different departments didn't really have the same experience... Working over Christmas is so so tiring and merciless.

Advice to Management

Make sure that your employees are not afraid of their supervisors - my department was great but I know a few people who went home in tears or just quit in a rage because of department politics. Need to pay more attention to how people are working together (my department handled this amazingly).

2. Experience at Debenhams

Former Contractor - Sales Adviser
    Former Contractor - Sales Adviser

I worked at Debenhams as a contractor

Pros

Debenhams is a very well known retail shop and is lovely to work there. The staff are lovely and it's great helping the customers

Cons

I am not always 100% sure of everything when a customer ask so I have to ask another staff memeber for help. Before I was 18, I could not access accounts or let people pay off their accounts.