Debenhams
www.debenhams.com London, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

First job, was a bit disappointed

Sales Adviser (Current Employee)

I have been working at Debenhams part-time for less than a year

ProsMajority of the staff friendly, always had enough staff in our department

ConsNo training given apart from health and safety and till training - had to learn everything by asking questions, was never given a uniform the whole time I was there, lots of pressure to open accounts (even though I never received account training!) not given a break at all if working a 5 hour shift, senior positions not very sympathetic towards new people. Too many staff, I would be left alone for my whole shift "tidying" despite there being nothing left to tidy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and be more sympathetic towards the new people, don't expect us to know everything from the second we start - especially if you're not going to teach it to us in the first place! Don't make us too scared to ask questions by getting annoyed with us when we do ask!

The People Make it Good.

Food Services Adviser (Current Employee)
Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Debenhams part-time for less than a year

Pros: Flexible with hours, give great feedback, great incentives to get accounts/make sales/get good customer feedback, your own line manager is usually fantastic,… Cons: Some other people in different departments didn't really have the… Advice to Senior Management: Make sure that your employees are not afraid of their supervisors - my department was great but I know a few people who went home… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Experience at Debenhams

Sales Adviser (Former Employee)

I worked at Debenhams as a contractor

Pros: Debenhams is a very well known retail shop and is lovely to… Cons: I am not always 100% sure of everything when a customer ask so I have to ask another staff… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Debenhams.

Worked for Debenhams? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Debenhams reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Debenhams CEO Michael Sharp. All reviews posted anonymously by Debenhams employees.