DecisionOne

www.decisionone.com
  www.decisionone.com
There are newer employer reviews for DecisionOne

A depressing place to work.

I have been working at DecisionOne

Pros

-The freedom inherent with working from home
-Never met my manager
-The opportunity to network with customers in hopes of getting a job lead
-The opportunity to work on a wide variety of equipment

Cons

Where do I begin?
-As said before, the mileage compensation for driving your own vehicle is a paltry $0.38 (thirty-eight cents) per mile. The IRS rate as of today is $0.555 (fifty-five and one-half cents) per mile. Management says they review this quarterly. Perhaps they review it and ignore it?
-On call / Standby pay used to be $15 for weekdays and $25 for weekends and holidays. It has now been reduced to a maximum of $60 per week in a scheme where only the weekends and six holidays are payable. You are still subject to being on call during the week, however.
-Communication within the company is pretty much non-existent. Have a question for Accounts or HR? Good luck getting a timely response.
-Astea, our dispatch / call-management software is perhaps the most cumbersome, user-unfriendly thing ever devised by man. Unfortunately, that's its best virtue when it's working!
-Piggy-backing on the Astea issue, DecisionOne is very much metric-oriented. Hence, you have to massage, and appease Astea in order to make the numbers look good to management in order to keep them off of your back.

Listen to your people in the field! Some of your "clever" ideas sound great in a conference room, look good on a Power Point slideshow, but are highly impractical in the field. Management needs to focus on making processes easier, rather than throwing roadblocks in our path. When processes become easier, productivity increases. That's called progress. Also, constantly badgering your employees about missing SLAs on paper because something wasn't updated in Astea does nothing to motivate them. If anything, it embitters them. Again, look at the common denominator--the Astea process, and fix it!

Compensating your field technicians with a wage more than Geek Squad would also go a very long way.

72 Other Employee Reviews for DecisionOne (View Most Recent)

not a good place to work

I have been working at DecisionOne

Pros

Freedom, working out of the home and basically setting our own schedule is nice. No strict scheduled to follow, you don't have to punch a clock and be in your cubicle by 8am.

Cons

Where do I begin? They bark at you for working overtime. They expect the first 50 miles in a day to belong to the company, so you drive your own car-paying insurance, paying for gas, paying for upkeep to your vehicle-and lose almost $400 per month for it, and when they do pay you for your mileage you get waaay below the irs standard-.38 per mile. No raises...ever. People have worked for the company over 10 years with no raises. Most employees don't even get yearly reviews. All of this and our workload is greater than ever, but compensation is way down. Very unfair place to work. You aren't appreciated, they take and take and take and ask for more, and you give more and then they don't even say thank you, they micromanage you to death with their goofy call system which seldom works correctly. They expect you to manage a call screen with an average of over 100 calls in it daily, so yeah I want to get home at the end of a long day of work and spend a couple of hours going through my stupid call screen to catch it up so some numbers on a piece of paper will look good to upper management, taking time away from my family and not getting paid a dime for it. They don't reimburse for using your cable modem for the company. I'm getting out as quick as I can find something else.

How about learning the Golden Rule-treat others the way you want to be treated. Don't ask people to drive their own car around making money for the company and then stiff them on mileage reimbursement. Don't have a big employee survey asking everyone's opinion on DecisionOne when all it is is lip service and you aren't going to do anything to fix your problems (they did this in early 2011). Basically, respect the people who's back your success depends on. Without us, you have nothing.

Frustrating.

I worked at DecisionOne

Pros

Independence, flexibility. For the most part my managers did their best to isolate their direct reports from the many negative aspects of the company and attempted to make a bad work situation tolerable.

Cons

No real sales force so the company 'grew' by acquisition, causing constant turmoil with integration. No opportunity for advancement or growth, no raises for years, and constant micro-management.

Learn how to respect the people that allow you to enjoy your lifestyle. Lack of respect and bullying to get results, gets you exactly what you deserve, a demoralized workforce.

There are newer employer reviews for DecisionOne