There are newer employer reviews for Del Mar Swirls

Not lovely

Former Employee - Team Member
Former Employee - Team Member

I worked at Del Mar Swirls full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Sometimes interesting co workers, free froyo, good location

Cons

working till 2am, mean owners, constant cleaning

Better hours.

4 Other Employee Reviews for Del Mar Swirls (View Most Recent)

Worst Food Service Employment Experience, Think Twice, Only for the Desperate!

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Del Mar, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Del Mar, CA

I worked at Del Mar Swirls part-time for less than a year

Pros

There is fortunately much solidarity between employees, and for the most part they support each other in situations where the management is acting inappropriately. Perks would be your free $5.00 worth of yogurt each shift, no discounts for friends or family.

This is long winded, so if you do not want to read my experience at least know the basics. No benefits, expected to work at least 25 hours, but I was never scheduled for less than 30/week. No consistent schedule, it will change daily. Starting wage at 8.50 with Craigslist ads boasting raises, but don't expect a review or raise. They have their cashiers and then "shift leaders" who may or may not actually make more than the cashiers, that is it. The management is a father son duo.

Cons

I worked for several months in 2012 as a college graduate needing a part time job close to home while I worked an internship. I found the ad on Craigslist, was hired on the spot for the pm crew. Here is what happened...
    You are expected to work at all three locations, they will switch you the day of so be ready with plenty of gas/time before shift ( locations 6 miles away from each other)
    You will be paid 8.50 to start, I did not stay long enough for a raise, but I knew several people who had been there for 8+ months with no raise/no review.
    You will be on camera at all times. They have several cameras both in the store and kitchen, assumed to be for security reasons, but found out quickly that the owners watch the camera, and will call to correct the way you mop/clean etc. They WILL critique your every move.
    You must be able to work the full 8 hour shifts, they do not schedule for less, and do not care if you are a student or have another job. Their scheduling is not flexible and assume everyone wants to work a full 30 hours a week.
    They emphasize a clean workplace over customer service, so don't be surprised if you get in trouble for conversing with a customer regardless of what the customer wanted.
    You are not allowed to talk during shift to the coworkers, regardless of the emptiness of the store. We learned to just talk without making eye contact since the camera's were always watching.
    You are not allowed to discuss ingredients in the yogurt or the process used to make it, this is of course not a bad thing. What is bad is that customers with allergies or potential health concerns will come to you with questions and you will legally not be able to help them out. Normally there is no manager there to even ask for help in the situation. so good luck dealing with the unhappy customer.
    They will treat you like you no nothing, or at least very little. I understand it is an entry level job, but with 5+ years of food service and retail work I would have assumed that I would have the respect of my manager. I was "trained" only for cleaning/stocking, after two months they still had not trained me on register, despite the fact that I constantly caught other employees' mistakes and most likely saved them a decent chunk of change. It did not matter that I had 5+ years of cashiering on a real POS, they did not trust any employee enough to allow anyone but the "shift leaders" on register.
    I could never trade/swap shifts due to the fact I had no "register training" (uhh look at my resume) and so life planning was impossible.
    You spend over an hour on closing duties, including pre-mopping and mopping the store every night (yes you do mop twice). Janitorial positions ask the same as this job and pay better.
    They have quite the attitude if you ask for anything, they bullied several other employees in school into working more shifts during finals since other employees quit.
    After submitting my two weeks notice, I was not acknowledged by either manager until the actual last shift. The last two weeks I worked I was called every day between 8:00am-3:00pm to be told that my shift was being moved to a different location. I do not know if this was related to my two weeks, but others who quit say similar issues happened, some were just taken off schedule.
    They do not recycle/care about waste created. It's a small but personal issue. Not a single shipment box/ yogurt jug/or Styrofoam cup was recycled. Everything went right into the dumpster. There reasoning? They did not want strangers knowing where they bought their products and people phish through recycling so "secrets" would get out.

If this does not convince you, then look at their advertising. They spam Craigslist almost weekly looking for hires. They only have three locations, that only ever has up to 4 people working. No more than 12-16 people on shift at any given time between locations, and no more than 30 on the whole staff ( counted the amount of employees when i was there out of curiosity-27). If they only have about 30 employees why are they hiring every few weeks? They have by far the worst turnover rate, all 4 employees I was hired with quit by the time I left.

Where to start? Evan you treat your employees so bad that you have to spend countless hours hiring new ones. How is this a good business system? Doesn't taxes every year drive you insane when you have to process W-2's? Respect your employees, realize that they want your trust, give them some freedom and reconsider what you are actually looking for. If you don't want to pay benefits fine, realize that without them people will only want to give you part time work and schedule them for such. 20 hour weeks are fine, sure more employees, but happier employees. Personally I think your business is dying and you have a lot of competition, happy smiling employees is the best way to bring business back. But they wont smile while being watched, would you like to be watched eating your yogurt in the back office all day? I didn't think so...

Management is very unprofessional

Current Employee - Team Member  in  Del Mar, CA
    Current Employee - Team Member in Del Mar, CA

I have been working at Del Mar Swirls

Pros

It is a really hip, fun yogurt shop and everyone in town goes there to enjoy the great yogurt treats. It is super clean and the tips are not bad considering it is just a yogurt shop.

Cons

The downsides are that management is completely unprofessional. They use the closed circuit surveillance not as theft deterent or employee security, but as a way to spy on employees. If you stop sweeping or cleaning the counters for even a minute, you will hear from the owners who are always watching you. It's very 1984. The schedule changes daily, so you never really know when you are going to work next. It makes it hard to plan your life around work. If you are late even once, you will be fired.

If you want to lower the employee turn over rate, be nicer and more respectful of your people. Have an employee login site where employees can get the schedule online. Oh, and move into the 21st century and get a Facebook page.

There are newer employer reviews for Del Mar Swirls

Worked for Del Mar Swirls? Contribute to the Community!