There are newer employer reviews for Dell

Dell needs to get it's "killer instinct" back and shouldn't fear taking some risks to get it.

Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Dell

Pros

Competence of the people around you, opportunity for growth if you take ownership of your career, fast paced atmosphere

Cons

Lack of committment by senior leadership (CEO, CxO) to expand into new areas of opportunity outside of laptops and desktops (e.g. Services, Enterprise Sales force), mid level managers spending too much time/energy on administrative vs leading and strategic plans; unwillingness to better understand customer needs

Advice to Management

Commit to a vision and stick with it, stop waiting to fail. Success doesn't always have to be commoditized. Find that lost killer instinct and make it part of the culture again. Winning IS everything in business somewhere along the line that got lost at Dell.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Dell is a good place to work, if you don't get "reduced".

Current Employee - IT Engineer in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - IT Engineer in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Dell

Pros

Certain areas of Dell provide great job flexibility. If proven, you can easily have a job that is self-directed and provides a great degree of autonomy. Another benefit of Dell is that it is a highly technical place to work. Dell is proactive and quick in adopting new technology that provides benefit. It is also a company that is not afraid to try something new. As a result, Dell is a fast paced environment. Change is the norm for this company and it's day-to-day operations. It's an ever changing environment.

Cons

Lack of job security. Lack of interest in the employees.

Advice to Management

More communication with employees about work force reduction plans.

I hope Michael can make the company great again.

Current Employee - Technical Sales Representative in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Sales Representative in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell

Pros

Great teamwork in each group that I have worked in.
    It appears that management does everything possible to delay layoffs by saving money in other ways.
    The product designs are becoming much more exciting and competitive.
    Internal blog for informal communication between employees around the world.

Cons

Management seems to be slow to react to market changes in the world economy.
    All of the old senior management that made Dell what it was have been replaced. Now, the replacements are leaving.
    Very limited technical training for the job.

Advice to Management

The return of Michael Dell to Dell has not had the impact that the return of Steve Jobs to Apple. We need to make sure the right team is in place to get us through the "perfect storm" that we are currently going through. I hope Michael can do it, only time will tell.