Dell

Fair and Balanced

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Round Rock, TX
Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell

Pros

Compensation and Benefis are pretty good. You can learn a lot by moving around in different jobs every 18 months or so and it is relatively easy to move to different groups.

Cons

Working at Dell is like smoking. It is very addictive and not very good for your long term health. The environment is always focused on cutting costs instead of meeting customer needs. There are many reorganizations, so it may be difficult to build credibility with your boss to get promoted. I had three different managers in 2008.

Abandon the spans and layers rule that mandates every manager have at least 10 direct reports. This has caused unnatural acts that have resulted in lost talent. Need to simplify the product offering - it should not take 30 questions to build a PC. Way too many upsells. Too many people control pricing and promotions. If Dell does not take care of its employees, it should not expect employees to care about customers. Cutting costs will not bring this company back to glory. It is customer service.

3955 Other Employee Reviews for Dell (View Most Recent)

Who are we?

Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at Dell

Pros

Great people and good pay.

Cons

Kill or be Killed. No loyalty. Too many reorgs Senior leaderships changes direction/strategy constantly. A lot of the talent left Dell a long time ago, and as a result getting anything accomplished inside the walls of Dell is tough. I am convinced that Congress is a more nimble organization than Dell.

If you focus on taking care of your employees, we will take care of the customers.

Great for some, little advancement for others

Former Employee - Software Developer in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell

Pros

Great holiday vacation schedule getting Christmas to New Years off. In general the people are intelligent and great to work with.

Cons

There are few opportunities to advance from an individual contributor to being a manager, many promises are made but very seldom did I see it actually happen.

More training for managers on how to manage people. There is very little consistency on managers approach to managing people, while some are good others do not even discuss individual goals or development.

There are newer employer reviews for Dell