Dell

Too many reorgs

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Round Rock, TX
Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell

Pros

Freedom to work from home
Managers trust you; no micromanagement

Cons

Management is always changing its mind on what's important.
The strategy is not clear.
The website backend functionality is awful.

Stop the reorgs. Buy a real website backend.

4300 Other Employee Reviews for Dell (View Most Recent)

Age seems to be an issue at Dell. The older you get the more likely you will be laid-off

Former Employee - Tech Support Senior Manager in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Tech Support Senior Manager in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell

Pros

Dell pays well, you get to work with some very bright people. Dell does invest in their people, and does try to promote from within.

Cons

Often promotions do not go to the best individual, but this does not mean good people are not promoted. You just may have to wait awhile for your promo to come.

Dell is a great place for the young. However, you need to be prepared for lay-offs as you get older. This could be because the older individuals are paid more. After nearly eight years, and two promotions I was laid-off. I was told my position was being terminated, and I was given two weeks to find another position within Dell. Strangely, the other manager that took over my team was male and 20 years younger. Additionally, this manager only had six months management experience compared to my 20 years experience. I was among six people laid-off in my division, all of which were over 40 years of age.

Dell is very community minded, and encourages their people to volunteer within their community. I would like Dell to drink the kool-aid as well, and think of their staff as a community. In my mind, Dell needs to focus on making employment at Dell more secure for their people, and showing their staff they really care about them.

Understanding the need for cutbacks, it seems to me Dell could do a better job of moving resources, instead of laying individuals off. This would actually result in even greater savings for Dell; since, there would be very little need for termination packages.

I know when I was laid-off, there were many positions that fit my background, but getting an opportunity for an interview was nearly impossible within 15 days.

Bottom-line, should there be a performance issue, Dell does need to terminate employment. However, when there is not a performance issue, doesn’t it make sense to simply move your resources from one group to another groups to fill open positions? Dell could really make a difference, and take the lead in this new way of dealing with cutting back to same money.

I am just saying…

The production team members made it a good place to work.

Current Employee - Production Team Leader in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Production Team Leader in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Dell

Pros

Everyone worked as a team when it came to quality and production. We had a new state of art facility with people that worked very hard. There was good communication to employees on a daily basis. We had start of shift meetings everyday.

Cons

We worked a lot of 7 days a week without a day off. Constantly running out of parts for assembly. The company built a brand new state of the art facility and closed it in 5 years. This disrupted a lot of peoples lives after all the commitment we made with company.

The company has very talented people with in the company. Don't sell out to Contract Manufacturing in other countries who cares nothing about your product on a personal level.

There are newer employer reviews for Dell