There are newer employer reviews for Dell

Too many reorgs

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Round Rock, TX
Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell

Pros

Freedom to work from home
Managers trust you; no micromanagement

Cons

Management is always changing its mind on what's important.
The strategy is not clear.
The website backend functionality is awful.

Stop the reorgs. Buy a real website backend.

reviews filtered by
  1. Meets the 3 signs of a miserable job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, MA

I worked at Dell

Pros

Incredibly talented work group. Dedicated to the clients. Almost synergistic between individuals. Truly 5th discipline. Hard working / selfless employees

Cons

3 signs of a miserable is job is anonymity, irrelevancy, and immeasurement.
    Anonymity - Management does not know you nor what you do
    Irrelevancy - Your work does not matter .. Management not effectively communicating their appreciation/relevancy of the employees duties (too often employee is look as a cost center not an investment)
    Immeasurement - Nothing put in place to adequately measure an employees progress. It is left to poor metrics and "opinion".

It all starts with a vision and attention to detail , and a willingness to admit mistakes. Areas that the current management is lacking. It can be righted if there is a willingness to be less dogmatic and more pragmatic as the employees have demonstrated.

This is not indicative of Dell as whole only this group.

Age seems to be an issue at Dell. The older you get the more likely you will be laid-off

Former Employee - Tech Support Senior Manager in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Tech Support Senior Manager in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell

Pros

Dell pays well, you get to work with some very bright people. Dell does invest in their people, and does try to promote from within.

Cons

Often promotions do not go to the best individual, but this does not mean good people are not promoted. You just may have to wait awhile for your promo to come.

Dell is a great place for the young. However, you need to be prepared for lay-offs as you get older. This could be because the older individuals are paid more. After nearly eight years, and two promotions I was laid-off. I was told my position was being terminated, and I was given two weeks to find another position within Dell. Strangely, the other manager that took over my team was male and 20 years younger. Additionally, this manager only had six months management experience compared to my 20 years experience. I was among six people laid-off in my division, all of which were over 40 years of age.

Dell is very community minded, and encourages their people to volunteer within their community. I would like Dell to drink the kool-aid as well, and think of their staff as a community. In my mind, Dell needs to focus on making employment at Dell more secure for their people, and showing their staff they really care about them.

Understanding the need for cutbacks, it seems to me Dell could do a better job of moving resources, instead of laying individuals off. This would actually result in even greater savings for Dell; since, there would be very little need for termination packages.

I know when I was laid-off, there were many positions that fit my background, but getting an opportunity for an interview was nearly impossible within 15 days.

Bottom-line, should there be a performance issue, Dell does need to terminate employment. However, when there is not a performance issue, doesn’t it make sense to simply move your resources from one group to another groups to fill open positions? Dell could really make a difference, and take the lead in this new way of dealing with cutting back to same money.

I am just saying…