There are newer employer reviews for Dell

Flexibility and change is the name of the game

Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in Round Rock, TX
Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, lots of hope and enthusiasm -- at Dell, you can make your career as great or as bad as you want. Totally up to you and your attitude. Can be a very flexible and energetic place to work, and things change often so there isn't the problem of falling into a rut.

Cons

The flexibility and energy is very dependent on manager, if you have a bad manager, it is a terrible place to work (but the pro is that change happens quickly, so that will probably change soon). Greatest con is that it is very difficult to see the effect of your work or to feel that you are having an impact or making a real contribution to the huge writhing beast that is Dell.

Advice to Management

Keep working on simplifying processes; some focus on documenting resources and functions would be a big plus for the company.

Other Employee Reviews for Dell

1. Opportunity

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great exposure to mutiple business groups & segments Great flexible work benefits

Cons

Too many Indians and not enough Chiefs. Very silo'd Reward the wrong behaviors

Advice to Management

Stop panicking - Change doesn’t happen overnight.

Dell Federal worst employer for sales professionals.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Dell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you like working from home, outside sales professionals are home based.

Cons

Dell Federal has a very unstable career environment, the proverbial revolving door. A former manager told me: "sales professionals don't have careers at Dell, they have temporary jobs." In the 3+ years I was at Dell I had more than 6 managers. Honestly, I can’t even remember the name of the manager who hired me; he was gone 3 months after I started. Dell Federal is a very male-centric organization. Women and minorities rarely have the opportunity to move up to important positions. The outside sales (high paying jobs) are primarily held by white men with a military background. I was privy to many private conversations where the only female sales VP was derided for holding a position that according to my colleagues was rightfully a “man’s job.” Needless to say, she was not around for too long. Although more guarded in their words against minorities, it was also clear that minorities were not viewed positively. It soon dawn on me that few women and minorities held outside sales roles and if they did they were delegated to difficult customers or underperforming accounts; accounts that if you were well connected and liked would never be assigned to by a manager. Favoritism is the norm. Because Dell is required by the Federal government to have a diversified workforce, they conveniently populate the inside sales roles and other support jobs that pay considerably less to women and minorities. Dell Federal never wants to honor their commitment to paying successful sales overachievers their quota. If you exceed your quota by a significant amount, you will never get paid for your extra effort, ever! If you want a balanced life, forget it, you will never have it at Dell. They will squeeze everything out of you and then throw you away like a used toothbrush once you start making too much money. I’m convinced that this is a strategy to protect their very low margins. My recommendation to anyone thinking of working at Dell in sales, don’t do it.

Advice to Management

If you want your customers to consider Dell as a strategic partner and consultant, move away from the current peddle at all cost strategy and hit-and-run tactics. You need a management team that thinks like IBM: a strategic plan that balances long-term and short-term. The old myopic three-month approach is just wrong; hence the characterization by customers that Dell is a hit-and-run company. Talk to EMC managers and they will tell you why they don't want to partner with Dell: sales reps are not around long enough to establish significant relationships with their customers. Dell has no value to bring to the table in that strategic alliance. Hire new blood, get rid of the managers that have been there when PC's were new to the market and selling was easy. Get fresh management that truly understand consultative selling.