I've been with Dell for 13 yrs

Current Employee - Software Sales in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Software Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You have Opportunity to move from one area to another.
Plenty of chances to learn different jobs.
If you have good managment job can be great.
Always changing
Work life balance
Work from hm

Cons

Too much change can be bad.
If you have bad managment then job can be difficult.
Certain processes can be difficult to execute

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Dell has been a wonderful place to grow, learn, and develop my carier and personal network.

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Dell has wonderful talent and the opportunities are endless for those that are willing to invest and learn. Because of the great talent there are wonderful mentors everywhere.

Cons

Most things at Dell are guardrail to guardrail and it can be hard to see where the middle line should be. It can be easy to get caught up in the daily grind and lose focus on what's important.

Advice to Management

Dell is currently going through a wonderful transformation from a hardware company to a solutions company. I believe "Who Moved My Cheese” comes into play with the current situation but few have found it. In times when massive change occurs quickly there are key pillars that keep your people working harder. Clear, open and honest communication, Ethics and culture, measurements or metrics that truly align the business goals, Customer’s needs, and the future vision. .

2. Poor leadership is causing this ship to go down

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location - Austin is a great city to live in
    Salary - Is not too bad versus cost of living (something to do with no state tax I guess)
    Work-life balance - working hours were not taxing

Cons

Low Morale - regular layoffs and bad performance have reduced the employee morale to zilch. No one takes pride in working for Dell
    Bad Management - most of the middle management has survived simply because they've managed to suck up to seniors, without any regard to their performance or accountability
    Leadership - None of the senior leadership have any idea what to do given the current industry dynamics
    Lack of innovation- Dell made its name by selling stuff cheaper, which in effect, was innovation in supply chain. Nothing of that sort happens anymore. They cut most of their Product Group so no innovation there either. And they come up with lousy products which are obsolete even before they hit the market.
    Bad bosses - I had 2 really bad ones, although you do see good managers now and then