Dell

There are newer employer reviews for Dell

Friends, Romans, Countrymen....

Current Employee - Dell in Nashville, TN
Current Employee - Dell in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good first job.
Great place to network.
You learn a lot.
You get a feel of what it's like working for a giant corporation with too many heads.
Decent pay if you are able to attain your quota "goals".
Great teamwork.
Great time off and benefits.

Cons

The executive leadership team does not have a good sense of direction. Constantly changing the game plan and never sticks to something long term. Compensation plan consistently changing. The harder you work the harder your job becomes because the more business you bring in the higher your quota is. Almost seems as if the Executive leadership team goes out of their way to make sure you don't make money. Sales goals are very unrealistic and keeps going up. Example: You could have a monthly /quarterly quota of $3M but your teammate could have one of $1M. If you bring in $3.1M and your teammate brings in $1.5 then you end up making less commission than they do even though you brought in more business. My recommendation is to get Dell on your resume and then leverage it for a better job elsewhere. If you do choose to stay then make sure you don't stay in one role for too long. Your quota will catch up with you. But moving to another role is easier said than done. They let you interview but at the last moment put a hiring freeze and you are stuck! The biggest con is the negative attitude on the sales floor. People just aren't happy there but seem afraid to leave. Go figure...
Also, you end every day with the feeling that what ever you accomplished wasn't good enough and all you are getting is the stick, and no carrot.

Stop recycling the same ideas over and over. The current executive team needs to be flushed out and people with more innovative ideas brought in. Also, make it a better environment to work in otherwise you'll be left with people that work just hard enough not to get fired.

4047 Other Employee Reviews for Dell (View Most Recent)

Dell Federal worst employer for sales professionals.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you like working from home, outside sales professionals are home based.

Cons

Dell Federal has a very unstable career environment, the proverbial revolving door. A former manager told me: "sales professionals don't have careers at Dell, they have temporary jobs." In the 3+ years I was at Dell I had more than 6 managers. Honestly, I can’t even remember the name of the manager who hired me; he was gone 3 months after I started.

Dell Federal is a very male-centric organization. Women and minorities rarely have the opportunity to move up to important positions. The outside sales (high paying jobs) are primarily held by white men with a military background. I was privy to many private conversations where the only female sales VP was derided for holding a position that according to my colleagues was rightfully a “man’s job.” Needless to say, she was not around for too long.

Although more guarded in their words against minorities, it was also clear that minorities were not viewed positively. It soon dawn on me that few women and minorities held outside sales roles and if they did they were delegated to difficult customers or underperforming accounts; accounts that if you were well connected and liked would never be assigned to by a manager. Favoritism is the norm. Because Dell is required by the Federal government to have a diversified workforce, they conveniently populate the inside sales roles and other support jobs that pay considerably less to women and minorities.

Dell Federal never wants to honor their commitment to paying successful sales overachievers their quota. If you exceed your quota by a significant amount, you will never get paid for your extra effort, ever!

If you want a balanced life, forget it, you will never have it at Dell. They will squeeze everything out of you and then throw you away like a used toothbrush once you start making too much money. I’m convinced that this is a strategy to protect their very low margins. My recommendation to anyone thinking of working at Dell in sales, don’t do it.

If you want your customers to consider Dell as a strategic partner and consultant, move away from the current peddle at all cost strategy and hit-and-run tactics. You need a management team that thinks like IBM: a strategic plan that balances long-term and short-term. The old myopic three-month approach is just wrong; hence the characterization by customers that Dell is a hit-and-run company.

Talk to EMC managers and they will tell you why they don't want to partner with Dell: sales reps are not around long enough to establish significant relationships with their customers. Dell has no value to bring to the table in that strategic alliance.

Hire new blood, get rid of the managers that have been there when PC's were new to the market and selling was easy. Get fresh management that truly understand consultative selling.

Dell has been a wonderful place to grow, learn, and develop my carier and personal network.

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Dell has wonderful talent and the opportunities are endless for those that are willing to invest and learn. Because of the great talent there are wonderful mentors everywhere.

Cons

Most things at Dell are guardrail to guardrail and it can be hard to see where the middle line should be. It can be easy to get caught up in the daily grind and lose focus on what's important.

Dell is currently going through a wonderful transformation from a hardware company to a solutions company. I believe "Who Moved My Cheese” comes into play with the current situation but few have found it. In times when massive change occurs quickly there are key pillars that keep your people working harder. Clear, open and honest communication, Ethics and culture, measurements or metrics that truly align the business goals, Customer’s needs, and the future vision. .

There are newer employer reviews for Dell