There are newer employer reviews for Dell

Wonderful

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive salary, challenging work, management appreciated my contributions, flexible hours, good benefits, 401K match was excellent, supervisors were fair and easy to talk to

Cons

I honestly cannot say that were any negatives about working for Dell. It was one of the best jobs I ever had.

My only advice would be to lump all the Paid Time Off into one pot to use as the employee needed to

reviews filtered by
  1. A Hardware dinosaur feeling the nip of a Services winter

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are vestiges of a culture of personal respect, but it has been worn down by generations of quarterly reductions in force. Facilities are well appointed and not downtown but in decline, compensation is at to above market, but HR policy is still a bit Theory-Z.

Cons

Top management gets that the world is not just Windows and Intel anymore, but the message has not made it to the front lines yet. They are trying to acquire their way into the 21st century, but until some of those new nimble managers become effective at driving divisional goals and culture, there will be a disconnect between the "ask" and reality. There is no cohesive corporate culture beyond "git'r done".

Software and services are where its at, hardware is a commodity. Sure you can differentiate your hardware for another few years, but you're going to need to be innovative to do so, and innovation is not something you can acquire.

Work/life balance is awful

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Individually people are very nice; small discounts on computers is a nice benefit

Cons

Most employees are treated as grist for the mill with little regard for basic personal consideration. Pity, used to be a really great place until GE management invaded. Employees are more likely to be pitted against each other as in a cockfight under the guise of "competition" than to be treated fairly based on their individual merits.

Return to your root values

There are newer employer reviews for Dell