Hard Work, Great Pay

Former Employee - Director in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Director in Austin, TX

I worked at Dell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Outstanding pay and bonus structure Talented and nice co-workers The ability to fix a problem without having to ask

Cons

Most people work 50-60 hours per week, especially around deadlines Very demanding work People are promoted based on friendships with their manager and not necessarily on merit Management is ADD -- they can't stick to an idea to save their lives

Advice to Management

Stick with one idea and see it through to the end Stop trying to copy Apple, you'll never succeed in that endeavor Listen to your employees

Other Employee Reviews for Dell

Such a great company!

Current Employee - CSI Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - CSI Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Dell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working from home, competitive pay, great people and great future opportunities.

Cons

Haven't really found any cons yet.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you ate doing. The managers at Dell are awesome!

2. Not bad for a corporate environment

Former Employee - Solutions Specialist in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Solutions Specialist in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For the most part, employees are shown value and there is a healthy culture & work/life balance. I had my share of positive and negative experiences there and left on good terms with no bad blood at all. It is refreshing to know that at a moment's notice, there are multiple folks who would be willing and able to help me get a job there or somewhere else in their network.

Cons

They've invented something called a "movement freeze" which kills morale. I had the opportunity to take a 25% raise in a different segment of Dell but was shut down because my particular segment wasn't profitable enough to let me go. I felt that was borderline unethical and certainly nonsensical (trust me, I can out argue upper managements' reasoning for this one, lol). There aren't a ton of promotional opportunities, even for someone who scales very quickly as I did, so to have one right in front of me and not be able to take it was infuriating. To reiterate, though, I left with no bad blood - this instance actually gave me great motivation to branch out and do what I'm doing now (running my own company).

Advice to Management

It seemed to me that as the economy eroded, so did morale and culture. While seemingly natural, it's completely avoidable and Dell would get itself out of the hole much more quickly if it figured out ways to foster culture amidst struggle. People first, not the bottle line. And by people first, I believe that speaking value and worth into their lives goes much further than a spiff or bonus. Lead, don't manage. Another note is to get better at filtering. When all of the negative outlook attitude from executive leadership trickles down to the individual contributors, the result is terrible. The GM needs to filter some to the RSM who needs to filter more to the ISM who needs to be the final filter to the ISR - hope that makes sense.