Dell

www.dell.com

Flexible work options

Current Employee - Software Engineer II  in  Nashua, NH
Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Nashua, NH

Pros

ability to pick up any problem and solve it

Cons

Big company, need to navigate people to get decisions made

Other reviews for Dell

They will work you 75-80 hours a week and pay you for 40!

Pros

its a job - thats all it is

Cons

always looking over your shoulder at the next layoff

Not bad for a corporate environment

Former Employee - Solutions Specialist  in  Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Solutions Specialist in Round Rock, TX

Pros

For the most part, employees are shown value and there is a healthy culture & work/life balance. I had my share of positive and negative experiences there and left on good terms with no bad blood at all. It is refreshing to know that at a moment's notice, there are multiple folks who would be willing and able to help me get a job there or somewhere else in their network.

Cons

They've invented something called a "movement freeze" which kills morale. I had the opportunity to take a 25% raise in a different segment of Dell but was shut down because my particular segment wasn't profitable enough to let me go. I felt that was borderline unethical and certainly nonsensical (trust me, I can out argue upper managements' reasoning for this one, lol). There aren't a ton of promotional opportunities, even for someone who scales very quickly as I did, so to have one right in front of me and not be able to take it was infuriating. To reiterate, though, I left with no bad blood - this instance actually gave me great motivation to branch out and do what I'm doing now (running my own company).

It seemed to me that as the economy eroded, so did morale and culture. While seemingly natural, it's completely avoidable and Dell would get itself out of the hole much more quickly if it figured out ways to foster culture amidst struggle. People first, not the bottle line. And by people first, I believe that speaking value and worth into their lives goes much further than a spiff or bonus.

Lead, don't manage.

Another note is to get better at filtering. When all of the negative outlook attitude from executive leadership trickles down to the individual contributors, the result is terrible. The GM needs to filter some to the RSM who needs to filter more to the ISM who needs to be the final filter to the ISR - hope that makes sense.

There are newer employer reviews for Dell.

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!