Great flexibility

Current Employee - Database Administrator
Current Employee - Database Administrator

I have been working at Dell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Allows remote/telecommute work and is really flexible with work schedule. - Pay seems pretty fair compared to other companies - So far have not been micromanaged. I have had managers look to me for what tasks probably should be done next as opposed to them telling me what needs to be done. - Get to experiment/try new technologies that other companies would likely not try out.

Cons

- Business outlook seems uncertain which makes employees uneasy - Lots of bureaucracy (getting better) - HR and performance review systems leave much to be desired

Advice to Management

- Cut bureaucracy (this seems to have gotten a little better) - Solicit ideas for new products and services from within Dell. - Utilize standard best practices for conducting projects.

Other Employee Reviews for Dell

1. General Manager

Pros

Let me use my own Managing Style to groom my employees

Cons

Lack of communication, support, and overall help

Advice to Management

Connect with employees to see how programs are going

Think Twice

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to work remotely; high school environment; extremely clickish; your boss is completely uninvolved in your career path

Cons

To many chiefs and not enough Indians; your boss will stab you in the back during review time if you are not in the "click"; don't count on your boss to provide direction, it is up to you to figure out what you need and should be doing; choose wisely because, otherwise you will get screwed on your review and be told it "you need to gain credibility here to increase your rating" Great chess game, no way you can win if you are not accepted by the "click"; skill set does not matter as much as ability to play politics.

Advice to Management

Grow a backbone and begin to provide leadership. Help expand technical prowess amongst other employees by enforcing subject experts provide knowledge transfer to other interested parties. Instead, these subject experts are provided an island.