There are newer employer reviews for Dell

It has it's ups and downs...

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Business Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dell

Pros

As a whole....i'm not sure there is. Departmental wise is good, if you work in an area that takes care of you. Thankfully i am there and am able to do my work without being micromanaged. I can take time off as I need to and I actually enjoy coming to work each day

Cons

Politics, just as with any company, dictate too many business decisions. Whereas 5-10 yrs ago you could provide an idea and it would be run with. Now it seems almost as if your idea is immediately shot down and you are told 'that's now what we want to do with the company' - tools to do our job are lacking. Tools are developed that tend to benefit one department over another...while I/T is beginning to grasp these tools and standarize acrosst the company, there are still many tools that prevent us from being able to do our job correctly and fully being able to provide the positive customer experience that we yearn for. The layoff cloud still hangs around and you never know if the next day is your last day.

Advice to Management

Listen more to your customers....Apple and HP seem to be offering what customers want where as our products almost seem mediocre to what they offer. Our product is good, but it can be better. In addition, make sure you KEEP the talent that built this company instead of getting rid of your best people under the guise of reducing costs. This will hurt you in the long run

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. A once great company that currently is struggling to find its way

Current Employee - Engineer Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dell

Pros

Most of the assignments are challenging and interesting. There is always plenty of activity to occupy one's time. In general the people I work with are good to be around, although morale has plummeted within the past couple years.

Cons

Many jobs are being moved overseas, leading to poor internal morale in the US. Management doesn't seem to be able to pick a path and stick with it, as a result many employees just accept "this weeks vision" knowing that, if they don't like it, it will change in another month or so.

Advice to Management

Lead, don't follow. Pick the path that you genuinely believe is the right one and stick with it. Recognize that your employee base is an asset, and not simply a cost that must be managed.

2. Dell has so much potential.

Current Employee - Global Technology Manager. in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Global Technology Manager. in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell

Pros

The best things about Dell are the hard working and smart people who make the company go. Dell is, and has always been a fast paced and challenging place to work. My area is focused on technology. Dell is a great place to be if you are interested in technology. Many parts of the company run on cutting edge products. If you show initiative, you can get involved in a wide range of things at Dell, grow your experience, and learn something new every day. I have done some very big and interesting things in my time at Dell, and I will always appreciate these opportunities.

Cons

Dell has grown a lot in the 10 years I have been here. A lot of the growth has been chaotic. It resulted in inefficiency at times, and the company made mistakes and took the wrong road on occasion. Dell is like a person growing from baby to child to teenager, and is now trying to become an adult. We go through periods of trying many new ideas at the same time. Some of the ideas do not work, so we have to change direction. Sometimes we change direction too frequently. This causes pain to individual employees and to the company as a whole. Dell is excellent at execution. Because of this, we set a course based on an idea, and find that we are a long way down the road of execution before we determine the idea is not working. So then we suddenly we pull the rug out from under the idea. This hurt us, and we continue to operate this way to this day.

Advice to Management

The company has to get back to our basics. Step one is to make employee headcount corrections or other modifications that are required to get us in the right position. These actions must be completed very soon. The company is paralyzed by the aggregate uncertainty about what might happen on this front. The second step is extreme focus on our customers, especially in support areas. We have made some strides in the customer support area of late, but we are not back to the levels that won us loyalty in the past. The customer focus needs improvement from all angles. And we need to be prepared to spend a lot of money on it. And the money is worth it. The third step is product leadership. Again, we are making progress here, but we need to be in a leadership position instead of trying to follow the likes of Apple and HP as quickly as we can, after they make a good move. We have done this before, and have had flashes of brilliance in some areas lately, but this is the differentiator that we must own if we do not want to fade into a seller of commodity contract manufactured computers. Our best future does not lie in winning that role.