Dell review

Current Employee - Technical Sales in Round Rock, TX
Current Employee - Technical Sales in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Consistent payer, close to home, decent benefits

Cons

poor management, poor stratefy, ineffective and poorly directed tactics

Advice to Management

Improve management immediately, be faster on the uptake when you se excellent opportunities - and create a sense of urgency in the company and management especially.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Last of the Great Austin Start Ups

Former Employee - Mid-Level Datat Analyst in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Mid-Level Datat Analyst in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was a great start up with extremely bright people that, on the whole, worked really well together. Good pay, good location, average benefits, great company and co-workers. This was a place that fostered intelligence.

Cons

It was bought by Dell and merged to the Round Rock campus, absorbed like the Borg in Star Trek...heartbreaking really.

Advice to Management

Do not continue to lay people off by IM when reorganize to Malaysia. What makes reviewing Dell difficult is that I remember the "old" Dell culture from previous employment to MessageOne when Dell of the 90's was a good company to work for before management chased the dollar and moved into positions not qualified for or even interested in doing.

2. Great place to train/hone your skills

I worked at Dell

Pros

Dell is where you go after college to get all the on-the-job experience you could want. They're not known for exceptional compensation, but you get five star benefits, excellent development opportunities, and the ability to move job roles often while maintaining tenure at a single company.

Cons

Eventually you might look around and realize you want to work harder, accomplish more, and get paid better. That's when it's time to leave. There's a lot of complacency at Dell. Lots of over-tenured people who have stopped trying, stopped caring, and just want to collect a check. Don't let yourself become one of them.

Advice to Management

Recognize your up and comers and go through more measures to retain them. I knew when I got a job offer elsewhere that Dell wouldn't even consider matching my higher salary. I didn't even ask. Those of us who are "in the know" realize we can leave at any time and get more responsibility/pay. Do whatever you can to keep your talent.