Dell

There are newer employer reviews for Dell

Company in Crisis

Current Employee - IT Project Manager  in  Round Rock, TX
Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than a year

Pros

nice work and life balance

Cons

Has challenges with execution . In the last year there has been two major reorganizations within my division- each time we are backsliding and chaos is created. it is not uncommon for people to have as many as five different bosses in three years. Roles and responsibilities are not clearly defined so people are stepping over each other and when it comes time to look for accountability - there is lots of finger pointing. Unclear what the Dell landscape will look like in three -five years.

Define roles and responsibilities. Hold people accountable and share the plan for Dell strategy and how we will execute on the strategy. When the strategy is not clearly defined or understood - people make up their own. Define success and define how quality will be measured from the top - down.

3706 Other Employee Reviews for Dell (View Most Recent)

Marketing Manager

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Some great folks to work with at the company. You get the opportunity to work on a wide variety of projects and thus expand your knowledge. Marketing budgets are tight, thus you learn how to get the most ROI out of your projects.

Cons

Dell's business model has changed, and so much of the culture was tied to the business model. Thus the culture can feel adrift and many folks are asking "what do we stand for?"

Discover or create what makes Dell unique, and run with it hard. Dell has begun to look and sound too much like its competitors and thus Dell, HP, and Lenovo products and service have become interchangeable. You can sell commodity products and still be differentiated for the better. Maybe the "going private" plan will allow the company to make the dramatic moves needed in order to change culture and create a better Dell.

High stress, high pressure always in fear for your job.

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Dell full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great people to work with, good vacation/time off.

Cons

Very poor management. Too metric driven, they do not develop their people. Upper level management is completely disconnected from front line employees. Front line managers do not manage their people, they manage a number. It has gotten much worse over the last few years.

Get a clue on what is really going on in the trenches. Fix the broken tools we are forced to work with. Ask yourself why so many people are leaving the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Dell

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!