Dell

Senior Manager Procurement

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Austin, TX
Current Employee - Senior Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dell

Pros

Flexibility in changing functional roles from Finance, Operations, Procurement. It has some very talented individuals with high motivation and we are developing and delivering some very cool products. Huge focus on customer experience.

Cons

It is very demanding and with the global expansion, you can expect to be on calls every night and come back in to a full inbox. They restructure way too often based on each leadership change.

Focus on long term growth and profitability and let the short term results be what they are. the stock price is low so not really any downside on that.

Other Reviews for Dell

Expect to demonstrate your work ethic

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell

Pros

Coming out of college, sales seemed like a good place to cut my teeth. When the hours are normal (40-45 hrs a week), life is wonderful. Great pay, I work with some of my best friends, I enjoy talking to and helping mostof my customers every day. Most everyone is around my age and they know to work hard and play hard.

Cons

It can get to become a little bit of a grind. During Q4, reps are expected to work ~12 hours a day as much as 6 days a week. This is to be expected, since it is our busiest time, but the work life balance...leaves a little to be desired. Once you make it out of Q4, the same trend of 15-20 hours of OT can persist until Mid-march. Add on the optimistically high sales goals that the manage uses to compensate and it can be very stressful.

I've worked here for 9 months and the compensation plan has changed 4 times...and every step becomes more and more convuluted in a way that makes it nearly impossible to understand why I am not able to maximize my pay check. You have to consistantly hit 4 different metrics to get compensated more than you are projected to...and each month there is a different excuse where I just get paid par. The only way to really maximize your paycheck is to hit your SPIFFS...so basically the only people compensating you from doing above-and-beyond is the vendors that give Dell $$ to hock their stuff that month.

-Set more attainable sales goals. When <25% of the sales floor hits a certain metric to get compsensated what you "projected" that they would when they signed up.... it probably was set too high to start with. I understand trying to get the most out of your employees by setting the bar high, but setting metrics too high can be very demoralizing and can actually work against profitability.

Overall Dissatisfied

Former Employee - Development Manager  in  Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Development Manager in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell

Pros

Interesting technology being developed. Fast paced. People are generally there to win and are willing to bend the rules to get tasks completed for the benefit of the project. Engineers are generally high caliber.

Cons

Downsizing limits ability for growth. Once pigeonholed it is hard to move to another position. Managers do not help with career growth as I have experienced at other companies, since there is more focus on the project than on the individuals. Stock price and market share are good indicators of the executive team's capabilities - they are unable to improve their opex and opt for cutting workers (or moving work to India/Taiwan/China) instead of improving product and truly competing. Would not recommend working there as the glory days at Dell are over - their competitors have learned how to mimic Dell's old price advantage of parts logistics, and Dell does not know how to respond. Was glad I left and moved to another more vibrant company.

From the discussions I was in, the typical layoff of employees involved determining low performance (which is a correct metric) or which one would cause the least amount of disruption (i.e. their project was completed and others were still working on their projects). The latter choice is wrong - always go for the lower performing. Also, it seemed that upper management rarely felt the axe of layoffs (Rollins being an exception, but he still got millions to leave).

There are newer employer reviews for Dell.

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!