Dell

www.dell.com
  www.dell.com
There are newer employer reviews for Dell

If you perform, you will do well.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Round Rock, TX
Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is going through a lot of changes, and most of them thus far have been very positive following the move to take the company private.
If you perform well, you get paid well.
Great benefits, very friendly people.
Room to grow in the company.

Cons

Very, very slow advancement process. You'll be there a long time to climb that ladder.
Inexperienced sales management with poor integrity, unprofessional, no leader skills.
Their call centers are old, dirty, and all the technology in them needs upgraded. Kinda sad for a tech company to be honest. Still using 10 year old 19" monitors; really?
Not much passion anymore, lots of mandatory overtime burns people out very fast.
Almost every other retailer sells Dell computers for less than Dell does.

Technology advances faster than humanity, but all of the technology in the Call Centers needs upgraded. The carpet, chairs, all that needs replaced. It's worn and it stinks. Bring some color to the place too.
Need to get rid of the top heavy salary burners. The VSP wasn't nearly as effective as it should have been.
Maybe look a bit further when hiring leadership. Lots of Managers, but very few leaders.

3829 Other Employee Reviews for Dell (View Most Recent)

Terrible experience

Former Employee - Contractor in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Contractor in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I can't think of any, honestly. With the exception of being close to home.

Cons

I was actually a full-time, on-site resource for one of the many marketing organizations that support this behemoth. But because I was there full-time, I feel that I should review how I was treated inside those drab gray walls. I will not review the area/group/business unit I was in because this should remain anonymous.

Even though I was not technically an employee, I was "required" to be on-site every day, all week, by 8:30 a.m. If I was late, such as for a doctor's appointment, the manager for which I "worked" would text me asking me why I was late. Remember, Dell wasn't actually my employer.

I was told that I was expected to check and respond to email 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Remember, Dell wasn't actually my employer.

When I had something to attend for my child at school, I was "begrudgingly" permitted to leave early. The manager was of the opinion that "they should have these things after hours so parents can attend."

I received no job description related to the duties, ever. All I had was a job description for the "type" of role from the agency, but no detailed explanation of what I was specifically doing for Dell.

The Dell employee from whom I was to receive all information for the job was withholding information, but telling the manager that I was getting everything. This person took every chance possible to discredit, belittle, or berate me on conference calls. The manager never sat us both down at the same time and set expectations for the transition.

I was berated and belittled by the manager, too, on every. single. thing. I did.

I had to get a new car early on in my employment, and he asked me if I "really thought that was a good idea," alluding to my disappointing performance just 8 weeks in.

The list goes on. I watched this manager belittle another employee into just quitting - truth be told, the manager told me that was the goal.

It's been a couple years, and I have since heard this manager has driven 4 or 5 other employees from the same company I worked for into quitting.

I don't really have any advice for upper management, other than you really need to pay attention to employees to whom you give "power," and pay attention to how vendor resources are treated. It's one thing to use "power," it's entirely another to use that power to abuse, threaten, and otherwise manage with fear. I had no place to turn to, no one to speak with; I was trapped inside those walls with no others from my team locally. The minute I raised the issue with my real HR department, that was the beginning of the end. Within a week I was being "transitioned" off the account. You should fire this person. I've never seen anyone needing to be fired so badly.

They have forgotten their employees. The attrition is brutal and management just wants to blame it on the employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits or what's left of them. Remote work is awesome. The culture that is left from Perot is great but it is slowly dying.

Cons

With the buy back its been a rough time and all the money is tied up in that, with nothing to spare for the people that made it possible. Poor life balance, no raises and advancement is nil.

Pay your people for the hard work you expect from them. Learn to balance what is good for Dell and what is good for the customer. The customer is not always right.

There are newer employer reviews for Dell