Adminstration Skills?

Former Employee - Sales Account Manager - EBD Division in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Dell

Pros

solid product training at the beggining. Decent presales support representatives assisting sales team. Good training on IT hardware on IT storage, servers, virtualization in general. Good commission on high margin deals/sales won...

Cons

extreemly high load of admin yet this role was positioned to me as senior. Had worked in a previous company ( at an equivalent level ) there was a much more structured set up of data on clients which was accurate & was a starting point from which to profile a given enterprise for opportunity, Zero realistic marketing support - eBlasts sent to contacts often moved on from company, inaccurate / non decision making + even in some cases deceased! A very rective 'quotey' type of sales job. If you are lucky your a/c base will hit its own target. If you are not, you could be superman with the portfolio you get & not make target. Had to work with an internal sales trainer who was used to coaching v. junior level sales staff ( from the exponential growth of Dell days ) & was winging it, personally clashed with him which 'blemished' my image on next line manager I had to work with . Had 3 sales managers in 12 months ! . Managers r under a lot of pressure themselves & primarily 'bean count' but are nice people. List RRP's on the quoting systems were way higher than in the market price / web price. So even using say 40% discount in some cases appeared in the eyes of the buyer as just an 20% or so discount...what a mess. The new channel team also is eating up the old 'direct' install base...it's easier for a VAR/ISV/Reseller to sell Dell kit to an exisiting 'dell house' /hardware install base than say againsts competitie HP/IBM kit. this too could be a real challenge. It's a roll of the dice with the place. The recruiter there had genuine hopes for me,despite the fact that I only lasted a year in the company & the fact that she is there 10years + in the Dublin / Cherrywood + Bray sites, she had no clue on the massive adminstrative nature of the job. Usually excellent sales representatives are crap secretaries. Join a Dell / HP / IBM reseller instead ! Had to work on Multiple systems but I beleive now it is all on Salesforce.com

Advice to Management

Take genuine time to understand the past experience of new employees. Please help them adjust to the role..

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Really enjoy working at Dell

I have been working at Dell

Pros

I have complete work life flexibility. I am able to work from home as need and for the most part given the freedom that I want or need as long as I get my work done.

Cons

Constant change can be a drag. Right when you get everything figured out, it changes again. So a lot of time seems to be spent in flux and trying to figure out who is who and what is what.

Advice to Management

The direction seems to be chosen. Please stick to it and dont chose another direction in 6 months. The vibe right now seems good. Lets keep it up.

2. Great place to work, as long as you can focus on task conflict versus personal conflict

I worked at Dell

Pros

It's a great training ground for working with cross-functional teams where everyone has a different agenda. Helps you learn to manage incentives and influence people. The other great thing about Dell is that you're learning to work with ambiguity, and what it really does is help improve your decision making skills. This happens just naturally, so long as you enjoy the conflicts and tension

Cons

The strategy followed by upper management is just not clear and the amount of changes that happen abruptly are just tiring

Advice to Management

They have to stick with a strategy and not slave to quarterly analyst expectations