Dell

www.dell.com
  www.dell.com
There are newer employer reviews for Dell

Adminstration Skills?

Former Employee - Sales Account Manager - EBD Division  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
Former Employee - Sales Account Manager - EBD Division in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Dell

Pros

solid product training at the beggining. Decent presales support representatives assisting sales team. Good training on IT hardware on IT storage, servers, virtualization in general. Good commission on high margin deals/sales won...

Cons

extreemly high load of admin yet this role was positioned to me as senior. Had worked in a previous company ( at an equivalent level ) there was a much more structured set up of data on clients which was accurate & was a starting point from which to profile a given enterprise for opportunity, Zero realistic marketing support - eBlasts sent to contacts often moved on from company, inaccurate / non decision making + even in some cases deceased! A very rective 'quotey' type of sales job. If you are lucky your a/c base will hit its own target. If you are not, you could be superman with the portfolio you get & not make target. Had to work with an internal sales trainer who was used to coaching v. junior level sales staff ( from the exponential growth of Dell days ) & was winging it, personally clashed with him which 'blemished' my image on next line manager I had to work with . Had 3 sales managers in 12 months ! . Managers r under a lot of pressure themselves & primarily 'bean count' but are nice people. List RRP's on the quoting systems were way higher than in the market price / web price. So even using say 40% discount in some cases appeared in the eyes of the buyer as just an 20% or so discount...what a mess. The new channel team also is eating up the old 'direct' install base...it's easier for a VAR/ISV/Reseller to sell Dell kit to an exisiting 'dell house' /hardware install base than say againsts competitie HP/IBM kit. this too could be a real challenge. It's a roll of the dice with the place. The recruiter there had genuine hopes for me,despite the fact that I only lasted a year in the company & the fact that she is there 10years + in the Dublin / Cherrywood + Bray sites, she had no clue on the massive adminstrative nature of the job. Usually excellent sales representatives are crap secretaries. Join a Dell / HP / IBM reseller instead ! Had to work on Multiple systems but I beleive now it is all on Salesforce.com

Take genuine time to understand the past experience of new employees. Please help them adjust to the role..

3764 Other Employee Reviews for Dell (View Most Recent)

Really enjoy working at Dell

I have been working at Dell

Pros

I have complete work life flexibility. I am able to work from home as need and for the most part given the freedom that I want or need as long as I get my work done.

Cons

Constant change can be a drag. Right when you get everything figured out, it changes again. So a lot of time seems to be spent in flux and trying to figure out who is who and what is what.

The direction seems to be chosen. Please stick to it and dont chose another direction in 6 months. The vibe right now seems good. Lets keep it up.

Great place to get experience but value creation not often recognized nor rewarded

I worked at Dell

Pros

Very smart people, fast paced, great place to get global experience. Executives and management will listen and respond to good business cases for change.

Cons

Work that moves the company forward is not recognized, Change is very difficult to make happen, The management employees that get promoted are those that keep the wheels on, versus those that solve for the reason the wheels are coming off. Decision making is often the "visit to one thousand caves" versus an organized and efficient approach.

Get outside help to set up a culture that rewards and encourages positive change that lowers costs and helps the company to improve deliver service quality and consistency. Take a hard look at long tenure executives to see that they are fostering the type of environment that contributes to change and that they are rewarding and promoting those employees that create the most value for Dell.

There are newer employer reviews for Dell

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!