Dell

Come work at Dell!!!

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Buffalo Grove, IL
Current Employee - Sales Representative in Buffalo Grove, IL

I have been working at Dell

Pros

Great place to work and to further your career. Dell is a Fortune 500 company, and just having the Dell name on your resume can go a long way.

Cons

I think that sometimes the process of having a person moved into a better position takes a little longer than it should. Lenght of time a person has been in a particular role seems to be an advantage when trying to move upward.

Promotions should be based on job performance as opposed to lengh of employment.

3693 Other Employee Reviews for Dell (View Most Recent)

The single worst career move I made to this date

Former Employee - IT Architect  in  Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - IT Architect in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell

Pros

If you are a local that happened to be lucky enough to land in Dell IT in the early days, Dell is a windfall for you. If your strong suit if relationshps and politics, you will find a good home in Dell IT. It is the sole reason for advancement.

Cons

After spending 5 years in Dell trying to make something positive of this career mishap, I cut my losses and moved on. To this day I cannot laught at Dilbert any more, because it hits too close to home. Dell does not even make an attempt at "our poeple are our number one asset". The employees have been the first to get hit with layoffs anytime the stock goes down. Engineering jobs are being shipped to China, IT jobs to India, this is a fact of life in this company. I've observed directors and VPs from Oracle and Microsoft join Dell and leave after 1 year because poeple got threatened by their new ideas and got them fired at the next round of layoffs. Finally, there was an annual survey question placed to all employees like "If you were offered similar compensation and benefits at another company would you leave Dell" and the survey results were always between 65-85% 'Yes'. I believe they stopped asking this quesiton a few years go. Dell IT is about the most miserable place I have ever worked in.

I never got the feeling that executive leadership knew where to take the company, like there wasn't any wisdom on top. The feeling you get from below is that the 'Dell model' is a cash cow and that's all you need to know to run this business. From sales, to marketing, to IT it was a backstabbing free-for-all to get all you can for yourself... until the model didn't hold any more of course.

Disconnected management

Current Employee - Enterprise Technical Support  in  Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Enterprise Technical Support in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell

Pros

Pay, Benefits, and culture. They try to make it a good place to work with nifty contests and what not. Good for culture, but essentially, that doesn’t make up for the overall stupidity in decision making.

Cons

Idiot management. They are extremley disconnected with the way things really work at the bottom level.

Spend a month on the phones in tech support before you try to "fix things" and end up making our jobs harder adn more complex.

There are newer employer reviews for Dell

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!