Dell

There are newer employer reviews for Dell

My experience at Dell

Current Employee - Business Systems Senior Analyst in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Business Systems Senior Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary and benefits and ability to work from home.

Cons

Management styles inconsistent across company.....the main determining factor in your overall success and enjoyment level is strictly tied to who your manager is.....this can vary greatly from team to team.
Lots of layoff and hiring cycles as they seem to go guardrail to guardrail when making headcount decisions.

4045 Other Employee Reviews for Dell (View Most Recent)

Dell is a great place to work

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly people. Everyone goes out of there way to help newcomers like me. This is a result of the "all for one" attitude that comes from the top down. We are a 100,000 plus team and unstoppable. Great benefits and friendly, helpful colleagues make this a great place to work

Cons

None that ive seen so far

Keep on trusting your employees to manage their business

Dell Response

Sep 8, 2014Candidate and Employee Experience Team

We agree - our team members are the best and what makes coming to Dell (in the office or virtually) the best part of our jobs. Thank you for the feedback!

Great work life balance and support. Processes are like working for the military (I would imagine)

Current Employee - Program Manager Senior Consultant in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager Senior Consultant in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

High emphasis on product quality makes me proud to work for the company.
    The management team empowers individual contributors.
    Our business unit's revenue is growing healthily -- management makes me feel as if I am valuable and contributing..
    Dell's laptops and monitors are excellent and price competitive. I love using them everyday. Their monitors are as good as Apple's!
    My boss gets a 150% out of 100 rating. He is extremely supportive and leadership in our division is excited and transparent in their decisionmaking. Our VP of Engineering manages downward as much as he does to Austin -- the San Jose management is exceptional. .
    Couple of fantastic acquisitions -- Credant - the market leader in security and Wyse -- cloud technology. They are still making great products and selling up a storm.
    Bonus and salary are very good. Vacation leave AND sick leave = four weeks off a year. Wow! Are we living in Europe? Great.
    Good health benefits.
    On site gym, on site cafeteria.

Cons

Jump a layer above San Jose to Austin and wow. The person who said this is fast paced is living in a glacier .People in Austin love checklists that are 425 lines long in getting a product completed.

Training budget nonexistent, no classes in San Jose, little chance to expand your skill. If are building your career, that's discouraging. Little cross-BU polination to develop best practices.

Few career opportunities in the Bay Area.

Internal IT is stuck in 2002. No videoconferencing. Microsoft Lync sucks (sorry but it's archaic).

Seven holidays a year, 75% of them around Christmas. No floating holiday.

Since it's private: no ESOP, no RSUs, no stock.

Stop this process nonsense. Other large companies are looking at lean processes, not bulky processes where you have to document everything for documentation's sake. What a waste of time, money and energy.

Instead of having management relocate to Austin, have the Austin management relocate to San Jose to get some idea of speed.

Dell Response

Sep 10, 2014Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for the in depth and thoughtful review! We are sharing comments and sentiment from Glassdoor with our leadership team on a regular basis and your thoughts will contribute greatly.

There are newer employer reviews for Dell