Dell

www.dell.com
There are newer employer reviews for Dell

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer (Contract) in Bracknell, England (UK)
Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer (Contract) in Bracknell, England (UK)

I worked at Dell

Pros

Even as a contractor, there is so much scope for contributing to functional areas beyond your own core expertise. Managers encourage innovation, empower and trust (where deserved). They're also open to alternative ways of working, which in my case resulted in living 200 miles away from the office and as long as put the hours in and got the job done, could plan my day around current surf conditions!

Cons

As with all corporations, there are challenges associated with process and due course, and was getting worse when I left. Also, there was too much emphasis in "we're one big family" - or maybe the ethos surrounding this, born in the US, didn't travel to the UK very well.

Dell still has a lot of dead weight at all levels; management stuck in the past and old school tie mentalities. A few more redundancy and streamlining cycles should go a long way to sorting that out.

Also, the good managers still subscribed to the traditional hierarchical approach. You may be managers, but really you're just another person doing a different type of job than your team members. Show respect, get respect. And that applies to everyone.

4286 Other Employee Reviews for Dell (View Most Recent)

If you're a good employee, you'll like it!

I have been working at Dell

Pros

Very accomodating, good wages for management

Cons

There are very few promotional opportunities

Get in the trenches and experience what your employees do so that you know what you're talking about and make the right decisions. Consult your management staff first!

One oasis at big Dell

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at Dell

Pros

smart people, friendly, lots of lateral movements available

Cons

hard to deal with slow pace and huge spider web to go through to get things done

focus on innovation, not cutting corners,

There are newer employer reviews for Dell