Deloitte

Excellent Opportunity, Wouldn't Trade it for the World

Former Employee - Tax Manager in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Tax Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Deloitte

Pros

There is no better place in Seattle to learn your craft (taxes) than Deloitte. It is the largest tax provider is Seattle with a high quality client base. Access to education, research and training opportunities is unparalleled and the senior management has a lot of very caring individuals involved in the business.

Cons

Like all large accounting firms, work/life balance is sometimes not possible. Also, at some points, it feels like multiple individual tax practices sheltered under one roof than a cohesive team environment. The benefits far out-weigh the cons, though.

While transition is very difficult, there are some things that can be done to minimize the pain. There is something very special and unique about the Seattle office - don't lose that in a bid to conform to the rest of the country.

6829 Other Employee Reviews for Deloitte (View Most Recent)

Great internship - Thinking about heading back.

Former Employee - Business Technology Analyst Summer Scholar in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Technology Analyst Summer Scholar in New York, NY

I worked at Deloitte

Pros

- Work Environment: Fun, dynamic place to work with a large number of young exciting professionals.
    - People: As I said before, other employees were great and easy to relate to. Everyone works hard but likes to have fun.
    - Schedule: I liked the consulting schedule. I was just an intern so I didn't get to fully live the consultant lifestyle but it looked great. Travel, work hard, reap benefits.

Cons

- Business: It's a business firm, not a technology firm. Lots of the tech knowledge I learned at Engineering school goes out the window and its a much higher view on technology. Definitely no coding ( which in my mind is a Pro) or technical terms but it's beneficial to know requirements, limitations, etc..
    - Corporate: It's a big company. Hard to get things you need to get your job done. Processes and procedures take a while, but hey, that's what you get with big companies.
    - Perfectionists: I saw managers complain about words not aligned correctly on a PowerPoint slide. Literally, PIXELS were off and they were not pleased. To give them the benefit of the doubt they would be selling million dollar projects, but it's annoying that you spend most your time formatting slides rather than creatively deciding what should be included in presentations.

I was just there for the summer but the thing that bothered me is that there wasn't much communication between the Senior Manager and the consultants about the selling. Managers would go try to sell for more work but no one would have an idea until they realized they needed to work on something else. Managers, people under you like to have an idea what's going on, so let them know. This may of been a specific instance but it's the main thing I saw.

Great work culture, good salary

Former Employee - Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Deloitte

Pros

1. Work culture
    2. People
    3. Salary and benefits

Cons

1. Too large - feeling of getting lost at times -- difficult to rise above the rest
    2. Knowing a partners (or a few) is a shortcut to rising up ---> you need to be a good marketeer of yourself, as well as good at work to succeed.

Recognize your star performers primarily by their work, not by their networking skills

There are newer employer reviews for Deloitte