Deloitte

Excellent Opportunity, Wouldn't Trade it for the World

Former Employee - Tax Manager  in  Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Tax Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Deloitte

Pros

There is no better place in Seattle to learn your craft (taxes) than Deloitte. It is the largest tax provider is Seattle with a high quality client base. Access to education, research and training opportunities is unparalleled and the senior management has a lot of very caring individuals involved in the business.

Cons

Like all large accounting firms, work/life balance is sometimes not possible. Also, at some points, it feels like multiple individual tax practices sheltered under one roof than a cohesive team environment. The benefits far out-weigh the cons, though.

While transition is very difficult, there are some things that can be done to minimize the pain. There is something very special and unique about the Seattle office - don't lose that in a bid to conform to the rest of the country.

6579 Other Employee Reviews for Deloitte (View Most Recent)

A waste of my time as a new hire.

Current Employee - Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

- They pay you and are willing to send you off to another state for training.

Cons

- Staffing process is broken. Period. Your resources (buddy and counselor) are most likely too busy to help. Your HR staffing manager is too incompetent to understand your skill set and will forward your resume to some projects that are complete mismatch. You can be on the bench for 2-3 months or more if you're a new hire. Project teams only want Deloitte veterans instead of new hires (yes, I was told this as a reason the project teams rejected me even though my skills and background fit the profiles perfectly).

- Extremely unwelcoming culture for new comers. It could be due to the consulting nature of the firm. Nobody would be in the office except Fridays. After the 2-day orientation you'll be on your own, from booking/checking-in/locating your desk, meeting people, to finding work to do. You'll most likely be sitting in your cubicle all alone with nobody to talk to. You'll need to email/im/call strangers locating in some random remote area to 'put yourself out there', who half the time don't respond to you because they're too busy with their projects. If you have any question, there's no human being who'll explain how to do things to you because everyone is too busy and they'll only tell you to do a search on DeloitteNet.

- Extremely disorganized. Since there's really no human being explaining how to do things, you'll need to find information on your own. Unfortunately there are 1000+ different documents in different formats (web, excel, word doc, ppt, etc) explaining how to do the same thing in different ways, and some even in contradicting manner.

- Online training classes are laughable. They might look like they have a nice great portfolio of online training classes, but their materials and presentations are horrible. Even the compliance training classes are plain ridiculously time-consuming with some badly graphic 'avatars' explaining the rules.

- Pay is low if you're in FSI. You can score a much better package if you are with a bank instead. Lots of fine prints in the compensation package that weren't told up front. For example, pension and 401K company match will only start after working a full year with the firm.

- Technical practice is questionable. As a consultant in the technology division, I raise my eyebrows when the project teams told me they don't have time to do testing, or when they use technical terms incorrectly in a sentence.

Utilize your new hires more effectively by staffing them onto projects that match their skill set/background/career goals. Don't hire them if they are not a match.

I have been with Deloitte for Over 4 years and everyday I am challenged to learn and solve problems

Current Employee - Manager  in  Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

Deloitte hires talented people who are motivated, problem solvers, "out of the box " thinkers , team players and Leaders!!!

Cons

The only downside I see is the extensive travel,

We need to get better on more virtual project execution.

There are newer employer reviews for Deloitte

Worked for Deloitte? Contribute to the Community!