Deloitte

www.deloitte.com

Collegial but somewhat conservative environment; interesting work for the most part

Current Employee - Consultant - Strategy & Operations  in  Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Consultant - Strategy & Operations in Chicago, IL

Pros

For a first job out of college, few other professions can offer work as interesting and exposure as broad as management consulting. The Deloitte brand name is recognizable and nice to add to the resume (see downsides for the "but"). There are substantial travel perks associated with the job if you take advantage of it. I've had the privilege of working with smart, responsible, engaging, and fun colleagues 90% of the time.

Cons

Deloitte brand in Strategy Consulting does not compare to its better-known competition although some services are catching up or already competing at the top level. Chances are, the more junior people at the staff level have little control on the types of engagements they get staffed on. Perhaps consistent with the rest of the corporate world, the culture can be a little conservative and conformative: people while collegial tend to be a little stiff and dull until you get to know them better while working in smaller teams, college hires come from a handful of large schools resulting in a homogenous population

Offer more opportunities for employees in consulting to broaden their experiences especially to work in other international offices. Continue to build the brand name. Improve compensation and benefits.

Other reviews for Deloitte

Deloitte is an overall good place to work and great place to start a career.

Current Employee - Tax Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Tax Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

I chose a career at Deloitte because of the recognition and reputation you get from working at a "Big 4" firm . After working there for a little more than a year I can honestly say that I am happy with my choice. If you get your work done, show quality of effort and perform well there is ample opportunity to grow within the firm. The main thing is meeting the expectations that are set for you and exceeding them if you are capable. The benefits packages and the health subsidy offered are also great.

Cons

The only down side is the busy season when the hours become insane. I work in tax so we have 2 busy seasons that each consist of about 6 to 8 weeks.

For the October tax season, the worst ever week was 105 hours. There were 2 weeks like that and the rest of the October busy season, which lasts a total of 2 months, was an average of 75 -80 hours weekly.

The April busy season was not as bad as October, my weekly average was about 70-75 hours, and I didn't have to endure any 100+ hour weeks.

I am very pleased with the Senior Management in my group because they all are very caring and smart people who take a genuine interest in the people who work with them and ask them for their guidance.

Great place!

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA

Pros

The atmosphere, the promise of challenging and interesting work, the clear career path and the focus on work life balance.

Cons

The rigors of traveling all the time, working long and sometimes unpredictable hours in different client environments, being on different teams, and knowing that your success depends just as much on the quality of your work as the relationships you have been able to maintain.

Senior Management should invest more in teaching those in middle tiers how to be better teachers for those than join the firm at lower levels.

There are newer employer reviews for Deloitte.

Worked for Deloitte? Contribute to the Community!