Deloitte

www.deloitte.com

Fast paced, professional group to work with, mixed messages on work/life balance

Current Employee - ERS Consultant  in  Seattle, WA
Current Employee - ERS Consultant in Seattle, WA

Pros

Opportunities to work with all sorts of organizations and get exposure to how different organizations handle similar problems; experience with numerous kinds of work from audit to implementation projects to security assessments to business process improvement work; 5 weeks paid PTO at this level each year; Bonuses for completing a certification related to your line of work (CPA, CIA, CISA, CISSP, etc.); Health benefits include yearly allowance for partial coverage of purchase of certain sports equipment/fees; Opportunities for continuing on to top level management come quicker than at other organizations and bring high salaries/profit-sharing and excellent pensions; Excellent open door policy; Majority of managers are truly invested in the company and strive to see success with their employees; Trainings and reference documentation well thought out and accessible; Ability to specialize in any way you like (so long as you are willing to travel and the opportunity hasn't been fully staffed); Has weathered the recession pretty well and projects are being sold left and right.

Cons

At this level, you could easily be making more out in industry for the same job; Workload balance is not smoothed out throughout the year, and not even just limited to busy season times, meaning typically working more than 40 hours a week; Very hard to disconnect when on PTO or at home; Jobs you get staffed on locally are sometimes more based on HR being able to find a "warm body" than getting staffed on a job to further your career path and specialization; Travel can be very unforgiving; Very stressful at this level, since you're doing the work of both a regular consultant and a manager, and managing both, so many people get weeded out at this time; Majority of ability to move up depends on evaluation/compensation processes, which, if not taken seriously by your counselor or managers to show up or prepare for the meetings, can lead to you getting passed over; Manager abilities and attitudes toward flexibility on working hours/project deliverables can differ drastically; National level all hands calls seem to focused solely on bolstering partners and soon-to-be partners in their good work and disparage and/or ignore any recognition or opportunities for managers and below.

Be aware that at the current state of compensation, you are losing some of the best talent for new consultants and senior consultants. I have seen far too many of my favorite seniors and managers leave the firm over compensation and the best new potential recruits accept a job elsewhere. I just hope that it is corrected soon enough as we are already severely lacking in experienced senior consultants and a bit management heavy, leaving a big gap to fill between new hires and managers. I am also afraid that by default, many people who stay onboard will be those not found eligible for running a similar team out in industry through the industry interview process and the quality of our work will decrease over the coming years with mediocre management put in place by default.

Other reviews for Deloitte

Great place to work for young adults

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

Pros

Excellent benefits
    Fun coworkers
    Very nice office in Rosslyn for the Federal Practice

Cons

Federal practice has grown very large since acquiring Bearing Point
    Learning portal is cumbersome

Provide more visibility into salary decisions

Do your research and don't take the job until you meet the people you will work with

Current Employee - Manager  in  Rosslyn, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Rosslyn, VA

Pros

Got attracted by the fast, easy hiring process; good reviews and a seemingly good oportunit to grow

Cons

IT IS A HORRIBLE COMPANY! DEVOID OF PEOPLE'S CARE - THEY JUST WANT TO MAKE MONEY OFF YOU! IT HAS BEEN A FEW WEEKS AND AFTER MY FIRST 3 DAYS WHEN I WAS DUMPED OUT TO FIGURE OUT BY MYSELF MY "HOTEL" WORKSTATION AND NOT HAVING ANYONE COME TO SAY HI, I'VE BEEN WANTING TO LEAVE!

I feel that I have made the worse career move of my life. I'm an experience female with significant technical expertise (they hired me because of both - can't retain mid women managers and don't have enought knowleagle people to do the work- and this place and the way people treat you (you are just another body) goes against human nature and decency. They are all trying to protect their turf and their hours (not to give a single hour unless it benefits them). The first person I met (leader of the group I am supporting) hardly greeted me and just proceeded to tell me that I had to do "everthing" including things I have not done since over 20 years when I started my career. It is absolutely absurd!

If you are considering this company don't accept their "glowing" offer until you meet the people you will be working with. Be warned, however, that no one is "your manager" yet many people "gossip" about you as they all seem to know what you are up to. It is as if they are conspiring to find out what you cannot do instead of helping you integrate to this white-walled, cold place. If you are over 50, most people you will work with are likely to be 1/2 your age. They are a very young company so that the PPDs can claim big salaries at the long hours of the younger/cheaper people or by using the LARGE group in India who are cheaper and will do what ever they are told to do. These young people have large egos - they are told that if they "don't make" it within their first 2 years they are out. And no one seem to care about you as an individual. They only care if you get them "out of trouble" since they seem to pose in many proposals as having all of this expertise and what they are doing is assigning young, green or unknowleable individuals to runs projects. I'm being "dumped" with problem projects because the existing senior leaders are not really competent.

I can't help but be reminded every day of Donald Trump's "you are fired" show - this is how employees behave! I feel like I've made the worse professional mistake of my life.

Not sure what to advice -- they are all happy putting money in their pockets!

There are newer employer reviews for Deloitte.

Worked for Deloitte? Contribute to the Community!