Amazing Internship Experience as Deloitte Summer Scholar

Current Intern - Business Technology Analyst in Atlanta, GA
Current Intern - Business Technology Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Deloitte as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Real, High-Impact work. You are treated with a very high level of respect and everyone is extremely available to help you if you are willing to ask for help. It's all about helping each other grow.

Cons

It is important that you take initiative. Since everyone has a large amount of work, one has to find what the team needs and own that part of the project. Don't expect to just be handed down exactly what you need to do and that it will be that amazing opportunity to shine.

Advice to Management

Excellent that management is so involved in how the interns are doing.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Politics and throwing people under the bus, secret alliances = rewarded behavior.

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big four, far more complexity than many opportunities. Many great people. They are doing their best. They are trying very hard to value their employees, they provide many activities and dump free food on their employees. The directors and partners have a great sense of humor, and are very human. Incredible level of integrity of many higher-ups. Emphasis on socializing and people are very friendly. I made many great connections that will last and that will surely prove invaluable.

Cons

Big push to use India. Versus E&Y & PWC I am told Deloitte Tax is trying to win by digging deeper and deeper into India. Seniors do not have time to teach. I was brought on as an experienced hire, previously a manager at an exceptional two man shop (ie billionaire individual and hedge fund client with $30MM in ordinary income.) I did not bounce when I hit the ground. Staff: lay low, be quiet, work 12-16 hours per day, bill 8 hours. Coming from a small firm I was naive and billed out all my hours, in training they said not to worry about it. Worry a lot! This might be specific to Deloitte Tax. Some departments might be different. I don't know for certain. If people hear you have missed a budget, it can spread like wildfire across the entire department, and your days are numbered. Highly political, many secret alliances with a director and manager in my group targeting certain people. I was told to stop being difficult and to do whatever I was told. Senior on a project made mistakes, and I left them in as I was told to, I got fried.

Advice to Management

I don't know, there are so many great people, but at Deloitte tax it seems like the dog is wagging the tail, and they are just cutting costs to win because they cannot compete with E&Y & PWC on quality.

2. Very flexible organization that offers an opportunity to work with some very talented people

Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Very good work culture - Talent colleagues - Offers flexibility (work / life) - Transparent Performance Evaluation - Good clientele and reputation in the industry

Cons

- Below average salary / compensation - No active support for career growth (help available, you need to seek it out)

Advice to Management

Apart from offering a challenging work environment, provide proactive support to coach and mentor high performers and assist them in their career progression. Create role models in senior management that can cater to wide audience and enable / push them to proactively identify and mentor senior leaders.