There are newer employer reviews for Deloitte

good accounting firm

I worked at Deloitte

Pros

hardworking teammates
international firm with global ideas, but very localized.

Cons

i was working with a underperforming client, which didnt feel the prestige of working at a global leading firm

reviews filtered by

Great Internship Experience

Former Employee - Tax Intern in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Tax Intern in Miami, FL

I worked at Deloitte full-time (less than a year)

Pros

1. As an intern, the corporate treatment was great. The pay was fantastic at $22/hr. and I felt like all the full-time CPAs were my peers even as a lowly undergraduate student intern.

2. The environment was very stable for a corporate job. Tax accounting is certainly not investment banking, but with the big clients Deloitte has, it's not as crazy as it can be. Although I was just a summer intern (non-busy season) and I heard busy season gets hectic. Still, stable employment and good first-year pay (around $53,000).

Cons

1. I didn't like a service job, at least in tax. It was interesting learning about different tax entities and how professionals approach their clients based on their tax needs, i.e. tax structure, but I never felt like I was a part of the company. I just felt like myself and all my coworkers were just taking advantage of the tax business because of the demand taxes play in the corporate world.

2. I wasn't too crazy about the people. They all seemed to complain a little too much about how un-fresh their salads were everyday from the same places they always order lunch. I guess when your job is secure, you need something to complain about.

3. I didn't get a good feel for management. There was no sense of teamwork, but just of "have you done your job yet?". I didn't even meet all the people in my office until about the sixth week on the job.

Don't be afraid to relate to your younger, less knowledgeable peers.

Don't fall for the money - they pay well and then kill you

Former Employee - Project Analyst in Camp Hill, PA
    Former Employee - Project Analyst in Camp Hill, PA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salaries are very high and consultants make a killing. Everything the firms do is done top-notch - catered dinners (with uniformed waiters); flat-screen jumbo TVs in the lunchrooms (on every floor); travel to awesome places for conferences, with lots of after-hours planned fun.

Cons

The firms will take over your life. Expectation of 7-day work weeks, conference calls on Sunday a norm (and they last for hours), mandatory to check email at least once an evening (and you will get 100+ emails a day) and daily over the weekend and holidays; "Crackberry" syndrome is the minimum. If you are not married with a stay-at-home spouse, or single with zero outside obligations, you will be seen as incapable of making the grade. I know two women who had to discuss the choice to have a baby with their bosses - in one case the woman had to give up the chance to make partner.

instill better values in your employees

There are newer employer reviews for Deloitte