There are newer employer reviews for Deloitte

Federal AVA (Accounting, Valuation, and Analytics) is a practice of Audit Readiness, not Analytics.

Current Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA
Current Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-A lot of the consultants and senior consultants are very smart, nice people.
-For the type of work done, I felt that the pay was competitive.
-It's very easy to advance in this practice.

Cons

Another reviewer on glass door posted a review of AVA that I feel is very accurate. I'll rehash some of those points as well as add my own.

- You will mostly use tools that no one in data analysis has any business using. A prime example is a program called ACL. I have used many types of software, and ACL is by far the worst. The management is under the impression that this is a useful tool. It is not. It is not able to handle data even at the GB level, and has a syntax that a small child might come up with. I can somewhat understand that on certain projects, the government provides this tool and doesn't have the funding for SAS, but even then there are many great open-source tools that should be used instead. However, the usage of ACL doesn't stop there. Instead, it is used on projects that have access to SAS, in spite of the fact that ACL is always much slower (and more prone to error) than SAS. Additionally, programming time is much longer on ACL, due to the poor design and clumsiness of ACL's syntax.
- SAS is very underutilized in a practice that is built on summarizing and joining tables. PROC SQL is not allowed, and neither are WHERE statements. Both would speed up the reconciliation process greatly with no detriment.
- Placement of consultants on projects is done extremely poorly. I cannot count the number of instances that a person who would be a good fit for an opening on a project is passed over for someone who would be a poor fit. This causes both the project manager and the consultants to be unhappy.

Advice to Management

- Don't lie to people about the type of work that they will be doing during interviews. I think this is the number one reason for the high turnover in Federal AVA.
- Ensure that your managers treat the consultants with trust and respect.
- Don't use stupid tools for simple tasks. ACL is not a data tool, and no one in AVA should be using it. There are plenty of great (free and open-source) alternatives that are much, much better.

reviews filtered by
  1. Large, complex and internally challenging

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

Work/life balance, networking, good learning platform

Cons

Bureaucratic, clients dont come first

Advice to Management

Combine the advisory and consulting practices.

2. Good pay, okay work

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

They pay is good, but bonus and raise structure is confusing - not horrible, but not great.

Cons

The work is much less intellectually challenging that what I am used to. It seems as if not much is expected out of staff level practitioners, especially from the analysts, their work seems like they are just glorified administrative assistants, making decks look pretty, reading documents, checking for error, ect. It can be difficult to network since it appears to be very cliquish.