Deloitte

www.deloitte.com
  www.deloitte.com
There are newer employer reviews for Deloitte

Federal AVA (Accounting, Valuation, and Analytics) is a practice of Audit Readiness, not Analytics.

Current Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA
Current Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-A lot of the consultants and senior consultants are very smart, nice people.
-For the type of work done, I felt that the pay was competitive.
-It's very easy to advance in this practice.

Cons

Another reviewer on glass door posted a review of AVA that I feel is very accurate. I'll rehash some of those points as well as add my own.

- You will mostly use tools that no one in data analysis has any business using. A prime example is a program called ACL. I have used many types of software, and ACL is by far the worst. The management is under the impression that this is a useful tool. It is not. It is not able to handle data even at the GB level, and has a syntax that a small child might come up with. I can somewhat understand that on certain projects, the government provides this tool and doesn't have the funding for SAS, but even then there are many great open-source tools that should be used instead. However, the usage of ACL doesn't stop there. Instead, it is used on projects that have access to SAS, in spite of the fact that ACL is always much slower (and more prone to error) than SAS. Additionally, programming time is much longer on ACL, due to the poor design and clumsiness of ACL's syntax.
- SAS is very underutilized in a practice that is built on summarizing and joining tables. PROC SQL is not allowed, and neither are WHERE statements. Both would speed up the reconciliation process greatly with no detriment.
- Placement of consultants on projects is done extremely poorly. I cannot count the number of instances that a person who would be a good fit for an opening on a project is passed over for someone who would be a poor fit. This causes both the project manager and the consultants to be unhappy.

- Don't lie to people about the type of work that they will be doing during interviews. I think this is the number one reason for the high turnover in Federal AVA.
- Ensure that your managers treat the consultants with trust and respect.
- Don't use stupid tools for simple tasks. ACL is not a data tool, and no one in AVA should be using it. There are plenty of great (free and open-source) alternatives that are much, much better.

6970 Other Employee Reviews for Deloitte (View Most Recent)

Great opportunity to learn but compensation/benefits could be better.

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great peers. People work very hard on the role and are willing to teach new comers. Work with industry leading clients in various industries.

Cons

Skill set could be applied to roles in other industries that provide higher compensation (e.g. investment banking)

Consultant

Current Employee - Consultant in Camp Hill, PA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Camp Hill, PA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent Pay, some work may be interesting

Cons

Hard to take all the PTO they offer. Ton of hours. No direction from management since they are too busy. If you're not a traveler on a project, you are not eligible for travel perks such as dry-cleaning, paid meals, etc.

Be attentive to your employees. Don't pretend to listen to them.

There are newer employer reviews for Deloitte