Deloitte

www.deloitte.com
There are newer employer reviews for Deloitte

High value early in career, low value later in career

Former Employee - Consultant - Strategy & Operations in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Consultant - Strategy & Operations in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Deloitte

Pros

Great benefits plan. Over 3 weeks off a year, once you work there for long enough. Generous health and 401(K) benefits. Very serious about outreach to women and minorities. They are doing their best to incorporate work/life balance, though they haven't done that entirely effectively yet.

Cons

As a Strategy consultant, it's just not seen as top-tier (BCG, Bain, McKinsey are still very much seen as the top 3). While this isn't necessarily something that prevents Deloitte "alums" from doing anything, you get the strong sense that the alumni network, post-consulting job opportunities, and entrees into business school and management on the "industry" side are just not as good as those other firms.

However, I think it's a great place to START a career. Joining as an analyst was great for me, and has propelled me to later career success. However, if I were to re-join the firm after my MBA, I would see it severly undermining my career opportunities going forward. Perhaps that's why all my colleagues at my Ivy League business school in New England talk about going to the big three - but pretty much no one wants to go to Deloitte. Which I think is the correct, and rational, judgment. So if you join, join early and then move on. The later you join in your career, the more limited your opportunity set and the value of going to the firm in the first place.

As a side note, that's why I believe that the talent at the analyst level is comprable to, if not better than, the big 3. However, the higher you move in the firm, the more it pales in comparison to our competitors.

The strategy practice will never be top 3, no matter what you do. But they need to re-position their strategy consulting brand to be more explicitly about strategy. Only then will they have a chance to attract the best and the brightest at higher levels of the firm.

7426 Other Employee Reviews for Deloitte (View Most Recent)

A great place to get started, build relationships, and have a long-term, successful career.

Current Employee - Business Valuation Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Business Valuation Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

The pay scale is great. they are flexible with your work arrangement. If you want to move down to 80% full time employment - you can! You have any and all resources at your fingertips. The firm will back you in whatever endeavor you choose, so long as it furthers your career. Management is second to none, and is fully invested in your growth, both professionally and personally.

Cons

Long hours during busy season and management needs to work on being more transparent during promotion/evaluation process.

Need to be more transparent during end of year promotion/evaluation process.

Prespective of Deloitte from someone with experience

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

So far what I have seen is the commitment to promotion and career development. Comparing it my previous software firm this is something that I have been looking for. Support to move forward and merit wins not tenure. Secondly, from what I have seen Deloitte seems to take this whole process to another level and is very open about it with you. I am sure politics play a huge role with promotions however there is enough open process that you should be able to get a fair shake and not have to work the political side more than actually working. One final note to move up you need to be involved in the sales process if you are given the title of Senior Consultant. That also adds to moving up.

Cons

Learning to navigate Deloitte seems to be a challenge that you needs to work through. It is also the key to getting ahead. The fastest you get this down and your network started the better off you are.

Demonstrate that you have more to your life the Deloitte. :-)

There are newer employer reviews for Deloitte