There are newer employer reviews for Deloitte

Talent is the strength, Strength is in the talent.

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Smart, ethical and dedicated professionals, interesting work during interesting times.

Cons

Seems like careers are too lock stepped and regimented. At times, talent is thought to be disposable and easily replaced. Too much talent is allowed to walk out and not enough thought given to more flexible working conditions. I have heard however that this might be changing.

Advice to Management

All we have is our people; they are the most important asset albeit not on the balance sheet. New and innovative ways should be given to employees personal interests and objectives...hopefully the thought of up or out is no longer a mantra. Many folks choose to career limit themselves because of work life balance issues, this should not be taken as a negative. Support services professionals should be encouraged and supported in training and development, just like the revenue generators.

Other Employee Reviews for Deloitte

1. Deloitte is a great place to start your career

Current Employee - Audit Senior in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Audit Senior in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Great experience and very intellengent people.

Cons

Hours, pay isn't as much as private, but it exceeds private if you stay long enough.

Advice to Management

If your in Audit - Be loyal to your workers and they will be loyal to you. Tax - same thing

High value early in career, low value later in career

Former Employee - Consultant - Strategy & Operations in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant - Strategy & Operations in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Great benefits plan. Over 3 weeks off a year, once you work there for long enough. Generous health and 401(K) benefits. Very serious about outreach to women and minorities. They are doing their best to incorporate work/life balance, though they haven't done that entirely effectively yet.

Cons

As a Strategy consultant, it's just not seen as top-tier (BCG, Bain, McKinsey are still very much seen as the top 3). While this isn't necessarily something that prevents Deloitte "alums" from doing anything, you get the strong sense that the alumni network, post-consulting job opportunities, and entrees into business school and management on the "industry" side are just not as good as those other firms. However, I think it's a great place to START a career. Joining as an analyst was great for me, and has propelled me to later career success. However, if I were to re-join the firm after my MBA, I would see it severly undermining my career opportunities going forward. Perhaps that's why all my colleagues at my Ivy League business school in New England talk about going to the big three - but pretty much no one wants to go to Deloitte. Which I think is the correct, and rational, judgment. So if you join, join early and then move on. The later you join in your career, the more limited your opportunity set and the value of going to the firm in the first place. As a side note, that's why I believe that the talent at the analyst level is comprable to, if not better than, the big 3. However, the higher you move in the firm, the more it pales in comparison to our competitors.

Advice to Management

The strategy practice will never be top 3, no matter what you do. But they need to re-position their strategy consulting brand to be more explicitly about strategy. Only then will they have a chance to attract the best and the brightest at higher levels of the firm.