Great Professional Development but typical Big 4 politics

Former Employee - Tax Manager in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Tax Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Deloitte

Pros

Professional Development, Training, Variety of work

Cons

Long hours, office politics, Pay versus industry

Advice to Management

Continue to work on work-life balance offerings

reviews filtered by

Working at Deloitte isn't a job it's a punishment

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Deloitte

Pros

Reputation, brand, regular training, staff is talented, nice offices, project can be decent but that is highly variable depending on the engagement. I chose Deloitte because they were supposedly experts in the field and industry i'm in. I have an MBA from a top 5 school and another Masters and trust me, I was excited to join a consulting firm with a good rep. It is not what it is cracked up to be. I went into this with no expectations but after you've seen what I have, there is no wonder that the attrition rate at this firm along with many others is something over 25% every year. People get smart and move into other industries and functions.

Cons

Worst management teams in industry. Poor training, poor communications, no respect, no support, no accolades for good work. The hours are really long and the travel is really tough. I had clients coast to coast. If you think this is exciting like I did before, let me tell you it gets old really quick. In terms of career growth, you basically have to kiss a bunch of butt and take a lot of crap from horrible managers to move up. I saw some really talented, bright, and hard working managers get kicked out or go for years without promotion because they did not go through the political BS.

Advice to Management

Move to another country

Mostly good, with some room for improvement

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

I work in Deloitte's Federal Practice. One of the better reasons for coming to Deloitte instead of a smaller government contractor is the variety of projects and clients across the federal government. The practice is growing at a relatively fast rate, so there are definitely good opportunities to make a name for yourself quickly.

Compared with experiences I hear (second-hand) at other companies, I find Deloitte does an above average job of recognizing and rewarding job performance in its employees. The end-of-year review process is very thorough, if slightly prolonged.

Deloitte has also done a good job of getting former SES's and high level military officials to work for the firm, adding to the already high brand recognition having Deloitte Consulting on your resume provides.

Cons

Deloitte's Federal Practice feels very separate from the rest of the firm. From recruiting, to training opportunities, to the types of engagements, you sometimes forget you work for a firm that still does the majority of its business with commercial clients.

Engagements are typically longer than on the commercial side. It's not uncommon, even at the Analyst/Consultant/Sr Consultant level, to find yourself on a project for a year, or longer. This is not necessarily a bad thing - it forces you to develop some expertise in a functional area or a client. But beware if you are coming here thinking you will be on four different projects a year, as with the commercial Business Analyst program. Senior leadership is definitely looking to improve on this, but there is still much work to be done.

Advice to Management

In the Federal practice, keep improving on the experiences of the analysts in the entry level program. Things have definitely improved, but work to more closely mirror the programs and opportunities available to those in the commercial sector.