There are newer employer reviews for Delphix

Excellent engineering culture

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Menlo Park, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Delphix full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Smartest engineers I've ever worked with.
- Excellent executive/sales/marketing teams.
- Meritocracy based culture.
- Senior management is very open to feedback and constructive criticisms.
- Cool startup culture (free lunches, untracked PTO, ping pong hall, flexible work hours, etc)

The engineering team at Delphix is top-notch. It includes the smartest group of people I have ever worked with. Some of them include the co-inventors of the ZFS filesystem, DTrace, early engineers from Sun's Fishworks team (which comprised of the top engineers at Sun), etc.

Delphix has a very engineering driven culture; so much so that the managers which lead the different teams at Delphix are themselves great engineers (and great managers).

The company as a whole is doing very well and growing rapidly year by year. Overall, it's an excellent place to work, which is very hard to find elsewhere.

Cons

I can't really think of anything major that I'd consider a con, but one minor thing I'd say is that there are three offices (San Francisco, Menlo Park - HQ, and Boston), so the team is pretty spread out, which makes it hard, sometimes, to collaborate. Although people from SF and Boston come out regularly to HQ, and vice versa.

Keep doing what you're doing and don't lose sight of what makes Delphix an excellent place to work (see above).

11 Other Employee Reviews for Delphix (View Most Recent)

Rewarding in career but not in experience

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Delphix

Pros

Very smart engineers and dedicated team.

Cons

Chaotic management. Too much politics

Do things right and more open communication

Engineering done right

I have been working at Delphix full-time

Pros

An engineering culture founded on the notion that smart engineers with good ideas get stuff done, and that decisions should be based on technical merit and backed by data. This meritocracy translates to a bottoms-up engineering ethos where individuals are encouraged to understand and react to the business needs of the company. Titles and HR structure and not used as a tool to manipulate direction; anyone that articulates good ideas and drives execution has the ability to have huge impact in the company. Product management and HR management are minimalist, engineering processes that matter (e.g. code review) are embraced, while bureaucratic impediments to execution are eschewed.

The engineers themselves are some of the brightest I've ever worked with, and are always willing to help others, whether it means getting source control setup or diving in to help with a customer escalation. The problem space is broad, complex, and growing, full of problems to solve. I need to work somewhere where I am intellectually challenged by my coworkers, in an environment where it is impossible to understand every moving piece in its totality, and I've found both at Delphix.

Cons

The physical environment at HQ doesn't reflect the engineering culture, and standards at any other startup (catered lunches, open space, lounge whiteboard areas, etc) are lacking. This will hopefully change now that the space is more permanent (it had been on a sublease).

Make sure the engineering culture thrives through the growth of the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Delphix

Worked for Delphix? Contribute to the Community!