Demand Media

www.demandmedia.com
  www.demandmedia.com
There are newer employer reviews for Demand Media

Not very good if you want to be on a professional track

Current Employee - Freelance Writer
Current Employee - Freelance Writer

I have been working at Demand Media

Pros

-Write what you want, when you want
-Get paid often
-If you get lucky you'll get a good editor

Cons

-The topics to choose from are generally miscategorized and aren't explained.
-Though they advertise their pay as $18-$25 per hour, I've yet to see an assignment that pays more than $15 per assignment. So you can make $25 per hour if you submit flawless copy that's compiled within 1 hour for a couple of articles but the chances of that happening aren't good, especially if you want to have some facts or substantial references.
-The editors aren't necessarily knowledgeable. You always get a different one, whose name you don't even know and I've had articles incorrectly corrected. Worst part is that your name is attached to the junk produced.

128 Other Employee Reviews for Demand Media (View Most Recent)

Very flexible work environment, but company does not value employees and their work

Former Employee - Freelance Writer
    Former Employee - Freelance Writer

I worked at Demand Media

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Paid twice weekly
    Large selection of topic for articles
    Qualify for Demand Deals

Cons

Management does not communicate directly
    Always get a different editor on articles
    Turnaround time is not great
    No extra compensation

Suck it up and call your employees when you lay them off instead of emailing them. If my work wasn't up to your standards, then why did you publish them!

A mixed bag for freelancers: 2/5 bad, 3/5 good

Current Employee - Copy Editor
    Current Employee - Copy Editor

I have been working at Demand Media

Pros

- Helps laid off media professionals (editors & writers) keep our foot in the door of our field and keep using/maintaining our skills ("use it or lose it" definitely applies in copy editing).
    - Can work from home, library, coffeeshop, anywhere my laptop can get the internet
    - Can work as many or as few hours each day/week as I like
    - I like learning new things based on the variety of article topics I copy edit
    - Company has expanded over the years to provide copy for more websites and bigger-name websites, which makes me proud to say I edit for Demand
    - Company pays promptly 2x per week, and via PayPal, which makes it very simple. There have never been any errors in what I'm paid (I always get what I was supposed to get)
    - Occasionally on significant holiday weekends (Thanksgiving, Memorial Day, etc.) the company runs a sweepstakes where each article a writer submits, or each article a CE edits, earns entries into the sweeps, which is usually airline tickets or a cash amount. That's definitely a motivator and it also is a morale booster. (I haven't won yet but I will always keep trying!)

Cons

- The pay rate for both editors and writers is too low for what we're expected to do
    - Sometimes I get articles in my queue whose topics are not ones that I indicated on my preferences that I want to edit. I don't know why they show up
    - Whatever test or criteria the company uses to select writers is seriously flawed. I'm shocked at how often I encounter articles with embarrassing errors in very *basic* grammar, syntax, punctuation and AP Style. Do these writers not care, does Demand not care, or both?
    - We edit directly via a web interface/template on the Demand website & the site often has technical difficulties, especially on weekends when a lot of editors & writers want to work
    - Sending help requests to the help desk is frustrating because either they never respond, or they take a very long time to respond
    - Asking questions or airing concerns in the community forums on the website is not always helpful because often, the higher-ups who *should* answer the questions, don't answer, which leaves many of us feeling dissed and/or floundering
    - HIgher-ups rarely ever ask for input from editors & writers when making significant changes to the site, to the writing/editing process, to the style sheets, etc. Suddenly we are notified of some big change, and even if a bunch of us then comment (in the forums) that we don't like it for this or that reason, we are often ignored and nothing is addressed

Please pay your writers & editors what we are worth. Please expand how many people work in technical support and/or improve the quality of their work, so that the website is more reliable and less glitchy. Please be more selective in ways you test/select would-be Demand writers, because although some are excellent, some are barely high school level. Please respond directly and promptly when editors or writers have serious, valid questions/concerns, rather that sweeping them under the rug and making us feel like no one is really listening or caring.

There are newer employer reviews for Demand Media