There are newer employer reviews for Demand Media

Notorious and despised for many reasons

Former Employee - Editor  in  Santa Monica, CA
Former Employee - Editor in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time for less than a year

Pros

Office near beach, 3rd Street Promenade, free snacks, laid back to an extreme

Cons

Laid back to the point where people on the content team such as editors and content managers are instant messaging for half the day with friends and giggling. There's no shame. Many have no formal training or eduation in journalism. No wonder the company has such a horrible reputation. Wired, LA Weekly, and Business Insider have all written about the shoddy work of this content farm. If you're an editor, manager or writer working for the content team, working for Demand Media is only going to harm your resume. Real journalists look down upon such unprofessional work. They don't fact-check or verify anything. I was also verbally and sexually harassed, and management failed to address any of my complaints. That is simply wrong, callous, and shameful. I resigned because of the lack of morals and values here. Pay is also ridiculously low. You'll earn more at almost any other desk job. I am confident that this was the worst job I've ever had.

Hire content managers with professional journalism experience, people who have actually studied journalism at reputable universities or publications, or else your reputation is only going to get worse. Treat employees with some ounce of respect. It is so incredibly disrespectful and cold to ignore the concerns of your employees, especially when they involve sexual and verbal harassment. Keep things professional. Make it known that a professional environment requires professionalism. No ogling, crass behavior, remarks about female bodies, breasts, prostitution, and yelling. Demand some decency.

119 Other Employee Reviews for Demand Media (View Most Recent)

Okay for beginning writers

Former Employee - Writer  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Writer in Denver, CO

I worked at Demand Media as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

They pay in a timely, reliable manner. Unlike other content providers, they don't expect writers to earn a certain amount before providing a paycheck. If you're just beginning a career as a content writer, this is a decent place to start.

Cons

They have very high standards for low pay. I'm talking about for the general pool of writers. There is a high income bracket for more experienced writers. The amount of available work is ebb and flow. There are times when the queue of available titles is very low or nonexistent.

Pay your writers what they're worth. Keep the flow of available titles consistent.

Start up feel with funding

Current Employee - QA Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - QA Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Demand Media full-time for less than a year

Pros

While we work for demand, each business unit operates separately like a start up except you aren't expected to work crazy hours. Pay is great. People are awesome. They like to promote from within.

Cons

Mostly just the bs people right online about demand. Otherwise its great.

There are newer employer reviews for Demand Media

Worked for Demand Media? Contribute to the Community!