Demand Media

There are newer employer reviews for Demand Media

"Demanding" Media

Former Employee - Contributing Author
Former Employee - Contributing Author

I worked at Demand Media part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get to work remotely, on your own schedule, and when I started contributing authors had a lot of control over which writing assignments they wanted to work on. It was a good way for me to get a few articles published while being in school and build a bit of a portfolio.

Cons

The whole business model changed and although they never "fired" anyone, writers like me with no credentials in other fields like finance or whatever pretty much got pushed out. The company was very dodgy when writers questioned this on the forums, and made it seem as if everyone would "find a place" in the new specialty system. Guess what--it didn't work that way. I would have preferred a clear email that said "Your services are no longer needed" than being strung along and told to apply for various positions and specializations that I was always turned down for.

The new system is actually much better at avoiding duplication of articles and providing better content; I don't have a problem with the product they are putting out there, just the way I and many other writers were treated during and after the transition.

Be honest with your writers. If you're going from generating 300+ titles a day to 30, obviously there won't be enough work to go around any more. Keep people informed and don't dodge questions on the writer forums.

128 Other Employee Reviews for Demand Media (View Most Recent)

Good place to grow career

Former Employee - Product Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of hands-on experience. If you work hard and are smart you will be given a lot of responsibility and trust. They give people opportunity to move around when/if you want. Frequently hire interns for full time positions after graduation. Fun place to work, young and innovative environment. Overall the people within the company are smart, talented, hardworking and fun to work with. Some teams, however, are definitely better than others.

Cons

Management needs training, they do a poor job of fostering talent. No mentorship whatsoever. Very young and at times immature workplace. Lots of drinking/partying, so if you have problems with that, this might not be the place for you. Salary range wavers person-by-person and compensation is rarely fair. If you want to grow you have to be aggressive and proactive about it. They will, however, pay for classes and conferences.

Mentorship program. Management training.

Good place to grow your career

Current Employee - Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great location and people, fun place to work. You have plenty of opportunities to explore different career paths. It's a growing company that has battled through a lot of bad press and is coming out on top. Good mix of new employees and "veterans."

Cons

Compensation is not great, but benefits are good.

There are newer employer reviews for Demand Media