There are newer employer reviews for Demand Media

Great opportunity if you don't procrastinate!

I have been working at Demand Media part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Set your own hours
High pay rate for each written and approved piece
Work from where you can connect to the Internet
Easy work

Cons

Work isn't always consistent
There are "droughts" of work that lead to decrease of income

Keep titles coming!

117 Other Employee Reviews for Demand Media (View Most Recent)

Demand Media: Great Company, Great Pay, Great Opportunity

Current Employee - Freelance
    Current Employee - Freelance

I have been working at Demand Media as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Work 24/7, pick your titles so you write what you are interested in and what you know You can work anytime day or night, save data and finish assignment later. You have one week to finish each assignment. You can go months without writing and not get dropped, as long as you produce quality articles. They pay twice a week for finished material that has been approved.

Cons

If you do not have much education you may have difficulty getting enough assignments to write. You have to be approved to write about topics. It took months to get approved for parenting because so many freelancers were eligible, but it only took less than an hour to get approved for accounting topics.

Please start offering more revenue share articles...

"Demanding" Media

Former Employee - Contributing Author
    Former Employee - Contributing Author

I worked at Demand Media part-time for less than a year

Pros

You get to work remotely, on your own schedule, and when I started contributing authors had a lot of control over which writing assignments they wanted to work on. It was a good way for me to get a few articles published while being in school and build a bit of a portfolio.

Cons

The whole business model changed and although they never "fired" anyone, writers like me with no credentials in other fields like finance or whatever pretty much got pushed out. The company was very dodgy when writers questioned this on the forums, and made it seem as if everyone would "find a place" in the new specialty system. Guess what--it didn't work that way. I would have preferred a clear email that said "Your services are no longer needed" than being strung along and told to apply for various positions and specializations that I was always turned down for.

The new system is actually much better at avoiding duplication of articles and providing better content; I don't have a problem with the product they are putting out there, just the way I and many other writers were treated during and after the transition.

Be honest with your writers. If you're going from generating 300+ titles a day to 30, obviously there won't be enough work to go around any more. Keep people informed and don't dodge questions on the writer forums.

There are newer employer reviews for Demand Media

Worked for Demand Media? Contribute to the Community!