Demand Media

There are newer employer reviews for Demand Media

Great Work -- Great People

Current Employee - Freelance Writer & Section Expert in Murphy, TX
Current Employee - Freelance Writer & Section Expert in Murphy, TX

I have been working at Demand Media as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

First, I'm an independent contractor and not an employee -- there are significant differences between the two, as most people know. However, for purposes of this review, Glassdoor provides only two choices: current employee or former employee.

Flexibility and the ability to choose how many hours you want to work or how many hours you need to work are truly the greatest benefits of working with Demand. There's a tremendous amount of pride in producing content from which our readers will benefit. Plus, I was fortunate enough to be invited to do more work for the company -- other than writing.

Cons

I don't see any negatives to working for Demand. They're supportive, responsive and helpful whenever you need it. If anything is a "con" maybe it's the uncertainty of a relatively new, publicly traded company. However, its acquisition plans and assessments by those in the finance industry are encouraging.

Recognize talent when you see it and tap independent contractors for permanent roles, since we're familiar with the company's processes and goals.

127 Other Employee Reviews for Demand Media (View Most Recent)

Extremely Low Pay

Former Employee - Digital Content Writer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Digital Content Writer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Demand Media as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Time flexibility. Ability to claim yourself as a "published writer".

Cons

To research and properly write an article that will make it past the assigned editor, it will take several hours. Most of my articles (decent pace - I'm not slow), averaged me about $1-$2 per hour at best. Most "good" topics get taken once posted, so you waste time watching for opportunities. I tried an article that was supposed to make royalties if "sold" to other sites. I have actually seen it on several websites ...but so far I've been paid about $0.49 TOTAL and that was THREE years ago. It's basically digital content slave labor.

I'm embarrassed to put Demand on my resume. People have literally laughed.

Not a lot of work and rates are dismal

Former Employee - Freelance Writer
    Former Employee - Freelance Writer

I worked at Demand Media as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Make your own schedule
    Work from home

Cons

Did not make enough to keep working there.
    Editors can be real jerks, sometimes they change and publish the work under your name without your consent. Not just small mistakes but sometimes they rewrite the entire body of work and publish it under YOUR NAME~ wish I would have used a pen name.

Listen to the writers. Editors are not God!

There are newer employer reviews for Demand Media