Great Work -- Great People

Current Contractor - Freelance Writer & Section Expert in Murphy, TX
Current Contractor - Freelance Writer & Section Expert in Murphy, TX

I have been working at Demand Media as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

First, I'm an independent contractor and not an employee -- there are significant differences between the two, as most people know. However, for purposes of this review, Glassdoor provides only two choices: current employee or former employee. Flexibility and the ability to choose how many hours you want to work or how many hours you need to work are truly the greatest benefits of working with Demand. There's a tremendous amount of pride in producing content from which our readers will benefit. Plus, I was fortunate enough to be invited to do more work for the company -- other than writing.

Cons

I don't see any negatives to working for Demand. They're supportive, responsive and helpful whenever you need it. If anything is a "con" maybe it's the uncertainty of a relatively new, publicly traded company. However, its acquisition plans and assessments by those in the finance industry are encouraging.

Advice to Management

Recognize talent when you see it and tap independent contractors for permanent roles, since we're familiar with the company's processes and goals.

Other Employee Reviews for Demand Media

Extremely Low Pay

Former Contractor - Digital Content Writer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Contractor - Digital Content Writer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Demand Media as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Time flexibility. Ability to claim yourself as a "published writer".

Cons

To research and properly write an article that will make it past the assigned editor, it will take several hours. Most of my articles (decent pace - I'm not slow), averaged me about $1-$2 per hour at best. Most "good" topics get taken once posted, so you waste time watching for opportunities. I tried an article that was supposed to make royalties if "sold" to other sites. I have actually seen it on several websites ...but so far I've been paid about $0.49 TOTAL and that was THREE years ago. It's basically digital content slave labor.

Advice to Management

I'm embarrassed to put Demand on my resume. People have literally laughed.

2. Fair pay for the amount of work required

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Demand Media as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

-Pay. The pay was fair for the amount of work required -Interesting Work. While some of the article choices were boring, there were often fun and interesting choices to take on

Cons

-Editors were not on the same page, causing confusion and frustration for the writers -If you're a slow writer, you'll barely make above minimum wage

Advice to Management

Get editors on the same page. I have known many writers that have decided to no longer write for your company because of the inconsistent demands of the editors.