Demand Media

www.demandmedia.com
There are newer employer reviews for Demand Media

Not a lot of work and rates are dismal

Former Employee - Freelance Writer
Former Employee - Freelance Writer

I worked at Demand Media as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Make your own schedule
Work from home

Cons

Did not make enough to keep working there.
Editors can be real jerks, sometimes they change and publish the work under your name without your consent. Not just small mistakes but sometimes they rewrite the entire body of work and publish it under YOUR NAME~ wish I would have used a pen name.

Listen to the writers. Editors are not God!

133 Other Employee Reviews for Demand Media (View Most Recent)

Happy at DM

I have been working at Demand Media full-time

Pros

Growth Opportunity, ESPP, 401k Match, stock options

Cons

Lacking HR review & salary title/comp adjustment process in 2012. All indicators show 2013 will be a better year and that the company is listening to internal feedback.

Great Work -- Great People

Current Employee - Freelance Writer & Section Expert in Murphy, TX
    Current Employee - Freelance Writer & Section Expert in Murphy, TX

I have been working at Demand Media as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

First, I'm an independent contractor and not an employee -- there are significant differences between the two, as most people know. However, for purposes of this review, Glassdoor provides only two choices: current employee or former employee.

Flexibility and the ability to choose how many hours you want to work or how many hours you need to work are truly the greatest benefits of working with Demand. There's a tremendous amount of pride in producing content from which our readers will benefit. Plus, I was fortunate enough to be invited to do more work for the company -- other than writing.

Cons

I don't see any negatives to working for Demand. They're supportive, responsive and helpful whenever you need it. If anything is a "con" maybe it's the uncertainty of a relatively new, publicly traded company. However, its acquisition plans and assessments by those in the finance industry are encouraging.

Recognize talent when you see it and tap independent contractors for permanent roles, since we're familiar with the company's processes and goals.

There are newer employer reviews for Demand Media