Demand Media

www.demandmedia.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Demand Media

Great Place to Work with Great Benefits!

Current Employee - Visual Designer in Santa Monica, CA
Current Employee - Visual Designer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits (medical, vision, dental) are great. Stock options available, at least 2 weeks paid vacation, very laid back atmosphere. New building and great team. Free lunch on Friday. Cereal bar with stocked frig. Many team culture events.

Cons

pay salary is on the lower end. Like any company there are some politics you want to avoid. Not much of any other cons.

There is lack appreciation of design.

134 Other Employee Reviews for Demand Media (View Most Recent)

Good people, good perks, but undisciplined operations

I worked at Demand Media

Pros

I was at Demand for a few years. Overall the people were great--personable, knowledgeable, and good to work with. And the office experience was good. The perks were wonderful and the work I had was for the most part fun and provided good opportunities for learning and growth. They were also great with flexible hours and working from home, which was a huge help with child care and more.

Cons

Despite all these pluses, after 14 years in IT operations Demand Media has, hands-down, one of the most politics-laden and mismanaged operations environments I've ever seen... Chronically random enterprise environments, operations groups that rarely communicated with each other (and in a few cases even flatly refused to), random layoffs with virtually no consideration for the operational support holes left behind in the process, and more. At least once while I was there an entire dev ops team supporting one of their bigger products was restructured by one manager--existing people abruptly let go and replaced with people he wanted, and the environment restructured with little or input from other operations teams or business units. I was once even ordered to stop work on a project (which everyone agreed was badly needed and which eventually became one of the company's standard operations support tools) because, I was told, it's success was making my boss's boss look bad politically (he had been given budget to do the same thing and hadn't made significant progress). The company's customer-facing downtime reflects this sort of thing. Demand Media is also notorious for low pay per industry standard, which is typically justified by throwing in stock options. But as of this writing the stock is $2/share lower than it was at this time last year and barely 1/4 of what it was when the company went public 2 1/2 years ago. While I was there these things and more were taking their toll on many operations and dev personnel and turnover rates were significant.

As a company Demand Media has promise and the managers I had contact with were mostly great people. But the company is essentially a corporate equivalent of a bright, but undisciplined adolescent who although gifted, needs to learn how to clean his room and do his chores. They will never be World Class unless they start managing their people, policies, and operations according to World Class rules.

One great experience!

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

An excellent company to work for. So much enthusiasm and so many very smart people to work with and to become friends with.

Cons

There are times when we work very long hours - but that is with any job.

It would be beneficial to add more women to the executive management team. The company is currently a bit "man"-aged.

There are newer employer reviews for Demand Media