Demand Media

www.demandmedia.com

Rearranging The Deck Chairs On The Titanic

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsFully stocked fridge, drinks, free lunch Fridays, flexible schedules, overall friendly atmosphere.

ConsThe upper management couldn't care less about the morale of the employees. If you're part of a recent acquisition, get ready for the company to get bored of you within twelve months, and then shut you down without warning.

The simple fact is the executive staff drinks their own kool-aid, and won't listen to feedback from the people on the ground. Get ready for the quarterly company "all-hands" meetings where they'll unveil the most recent pivot - It happens every quarter without fail. The ever changing priorities within the company makes it increasingly difficult to close new business, and maintain existing business. You, and your clients simply won't be able to keep up.

Career development is a moot-point here. After several meetings with VPs, and EVPs about career development, you'll become frustrated at the lack of anyone willing to give you a road map on how to get a raise, get promoted, get better accounts, etc.

The company promotes a lot of internal events that claim to promote "team building" such as days in the park playing games with your co-workers, Hackathons, National Sales Conferences, but, all it really does is disrupt your week.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop changing and pivoting every quarter and give the initiatives and acquisitions a chance to blossom. When you acquire a company, don't go changing the business model - you bought the company because you liked the way they operate. Let them operate.

Great people but management lacks vision

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media full-time for more than a year

Pros: Nice people, beer Fridays, updated tech, beer fridays Cons: No room for career expansion, not innovative, little collaboration across… Advice to Senior Management: Encourage competition between teams and create something new. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great team

I have been working at Demand Media full-time

Pros: Great management team, good culture... Cons: The business is a bit shaky but improving Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Demand Media.

Worked for Demand Media? Contribute to the Community!