Rearranging The Deck Chairs On The Titanic

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fully stocked fridge, drinks, free lunch Fridays, flexible schedules, overall friendly atmosphere.

Cons

The upper management couldn't care less about the morale of the employees. If you're part of a recent acquisition, get ready for the company to get bored of you within twelve months, and then shut you down without warning. The simple fact is the executive staff drinks their own kool-aid, and won't listen to feedback from the people on the ground. Get ready for the quarterly company "all-hands" meetings where they'll unveil the most recent pivot - It happens every quarter without fail. The ever changing priorities within the company makes it increasingly difficult to close new business, and maintain existing business. You, and your clients simply won't be able to keep up. Career development is a moot-point here. After several meetings with VPs, and EVPs about career development, you'll become frustrated at the lack of anyone willing to give you a road map on how to get a raise, get promoted, get better accounts, etc. The company promotes a lot of internal events that claim to promote "team building" such as days in the park playing games with your co-workers, Hackathons, National Sales Conferences, but, all it really does is disrupt your week.

Advice to Management

Stop changing and pivoting every quarter and give the initiatives and acquisitions a chance to blossom. When you acquire a company, don't go changing the business model - you bought the company because you liked the way they operate. Let them operate.

Other Employee Reviews for Demand Media

1. Great team

I have been working at Demand Media full-time

Pros

Great management team, good culture...

Cons

The business is a bit shaky but improving

2. My experience has been positive

Current Contractor - Film Maker in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Film Maker in New York, NY

I have been working at Demand Media as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I'm usually paid within a week of submitting my pieces. DM contacts are friendly, helpful and professional. Ive always been more of a producer but I've become a better shooter since working as a filmmaker w/ Demand. Their feedback is usually solid.

Cons

Requirement information is not always consistent, Sometimes 2 people in authority can tell me opposite info in a 5 minute span. The pay is pretty low. And the network is not as dependable as it could be.

Advice to Management

From my end its flowing rather well. Talent Producers dont seem to have any casting-talent- or producing experience so it makes it hard for filmmakers sometimes. Pay incentives for pieces that require no edits would be nice - Since the pay is low it would show appreciation for professionals who do it right the first time.