Demand Media

A mixed bag for freelancers: 2/5 bad, 3/5 good

Current Employee - Copy Editor
Current Employee - Copy Editor

I have been working at Demand Media

Pros

- Helps laid off media professionals (editors & writers) keep our foot in the door of our field and keep using/maintaining our skills ("use it or lose it" definitely applies in copy editing).
- Can work from home, library, coffeeshop, anywhere my laptop can get the internet
- Can work as many or as few hours each day/week as I like
- I like learning new things based on the variety of article topics I copy edit
- Company has expanded over the years to provide copy for more websites and bigger-name websites, which makes me proud to say I edit for Demand
- Company pays promptly 2x per week, and via PayPal, which makes it very simple. There have never been any errors in what I'm paid (I always get what I was supposed to get)
- Occasionally on significant holiday weekends (Thanksgiving, Memorial Day, etc.) the company runs a sweepstakes where each article a writer submits, or each article a CE edits, earns entries into the sweeps, which is usually airline tickets or a cash amount. That's definitely a motivator and it also is a morale booster. (I haven't won yet but I will always keep trying!)

Cons

- The pay rate for both editors and writers is too low for what we're expected to do
- Sometimes I get articles in my queue whose topics are not ones that I indicated on my preferences that I want to edit. I don't know why they show up
- Whatever test or criteria the company uses to select writers is seriously flawed. I'm shocked at how often I encounter articles with embarrassing errors in very *basic* grammar, syntax, punctuation and AP Style. Do these writers not care, does Demand not care, or both?
- We edit directly via a web interface/template on the Demand website & the site often has technical difficulties, especially on weekends when a lot of editors & writers want to work
- Sending help requests to the help desk is frustrating because either they never respond, or they take a very long time to respond
- Asking questions or airing concerns in the community forums on the website is not always helpful because often, the higher-ups who *should* answer the questions, don't answer, which leaves many of us feeling dissed and/or floundering
- HIgher-ups rarely ever ask for input from editors & writers when making significant changes to the site, to the writing/editing process, to the style sheets, etc. Suddenly we are notified of some big change, and even if a bunch of us then comment (in the forums) that we don't like it for this or that reason, we are often ignored and nothing is addressed

Please pay your writers & editors what we are worth. Please expand how many people work in technical support and/or improve the quality of their work, so that the website is more reliable and less glitchy. Please be more selective in ways you test/select would-be Demand writers, because although some are excellent, some are barely high school level. Please respond directly and promptly when editors or writers have serious, valid questions/concerns, rather that sweeping them under the rug and making us feel like no one is really listening or caring.

127 Other Employee Reviews for Demand Media (View Most Recent)

Not worth it.

Current Employee - Web Copywriter
    Current Employee - Web Copywriter

I have been working at Demand Media

Pros

The flexibility is a definite plus. You work how much you want and decide what it is you want to write. Complete flexibility.

Cons

Every article you write is subject to the will of a nameless, faceless copy editor. So there is no consistency on whether or not you will get your article published. An article of good quality will be approved one day and another of the same quality will be denied the next. The first time it is denied, you receive notes from the copy editor...which are usually terribly vague. If you do not please the copy editor the second time, your article is denied and disappears. So you could have spent 4 hours of work on something and then they flush it. And you've got nothing to show for it. Also, by now most of the "normal" topics to write about have been written about and all that is left are really really REALLY weird topics like "how to fix a furnace built in the 1940s with a toothpick." So even if it is a 15 dollar article, there is no way to back that up with research (which is always required) because everything is so obscure.

Assign copy editors to a pool of writers so that they know which standards to expect. Consistency is key. Allow more than one revision on articles because most of the notes received are vague as it is and we have no way of contacting the copy editor to ask him/her to clarify what their notes mean.

It's a Job

Current Employee - Writer
    Current Employee - Writer

I have been working at Demand Media

Pros

freelance writing. work from home. make your own hours.

Cons

incompetent copy editors. rejections. re-writes. low pay.

Treat your writers with respect by hiring editors with some knowledge. The level of competence between editors is too vast.

There are newer employer reviews for Demand Media