There are newer employer reviews for Denny's

Server

Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Denny's part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, tips, 24 hour business

Cons

No room for growth other than full time salary management

reviews filtered by

Company practices and procedures demonstrates little respect to employees. Overworked and extremely underpaid.

Current Employee - Server in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Server in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Denny's part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hmmmmm. It is a job.

Cons

Where do I start? The company mandates countless hours of E-Learning to force employees to the Denny's policies and procedures. They constantly advocate the "Power of We," which is supposed to be the "family" atmosphere of teamwork approach. However, the whole concept completely contradicts actual practices and procedures. Our location was recently remodeled and the store looks great. However, the design is so abusive to the servers and demonstrates absolutely no respect or concern for the increased work load the new layout demands. Bus tubs and carts are gone forcing servers to haul large trays of dirty dishes to the dishroom, where they then have to clear each dish and sort into tubs. Coffee stations are gone, too causing servers to double more trips to the kitchen, which is a mess from all of the staff activity focused in one small area. The process takes you away from customers. Then, we run to pick up food orders and deliver to tables--yep...no time to wash your hands--it is insane. Second, Denny's is constantly adding more and more prep work to servers, once again, taking them away from customers. We have had more walkouts and more complaints because the server is expected to do it all with an inefficient floor plan. We spend half of our time off the floor doing what prep cooks and service assistants should be doing---if the company would hire them. Our stores does a pretty good business due to the location, yet we constantly are understaffed on weekend nights with two to three servers to handle about 40 tables from seating to cleanup. You don't even have time to pee. Keep in mind that servers have to handle all of this work, plus side work, too before you can even call it quits. In effect, we end up working for nearly half of minimum wage to roll silverware, restock inventory, etc because we never had time to do it during our scheduled shift.

I invite all of the "decision makers" to work the floor as required during a weekend or busy weeknight. Show your employees how the "Power of We" actually works! You are well aware that these demands are unrealistic and are nothing short of "slave" labor. I refuse to watch any more of your silly E-Learning messages because they are hypocritical and impossible to achieve. I do wonder if your staff were mostly men, if you would be creating such unrealistic tasks and responsibilities. I think not. Finally, the health insurance offered to employees says it all about Denny's attitude: the plan sucks and further cripplies a low paying work force and prevents them from enjoying any type of health care---yep. That is the "POWER OF WE."

2. Server at Denny's

Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Denny's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can make a decent amount if you are really busy, but you will be completely overwhelmed

Cons

As a server, you do the job of about 4 other people; cashier, host, busboy, and prep. Basically, if it's not an entree, you have to make it yourself, and to make matters worse, they are usually short-staffed on servers. This is a high stress job. Also, the food here is very cheap and the customers are usually very money conscious, so don't expect to make a lot either.

Create positions for prep staff, busboys, and schedule hosts on weekdays as well as weekends.

There are newer employer reviews for Denny's