Denver Health and Hospital Authority

There are newer employer reviews for Denver Health and Hospital Authority

Awesome Trauma Hospital

Current Employee - Staff RN in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Staff RN in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Health and Hospital Authority full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working in the SICU gave me skills that I never could have gotten anywhere else. I worked with some of the best nurses and doctors in the country, and I'm proud to have worked with them.

Cons

As in most businesses in the country, there is often head-butting between staff and management, as their focuses are different. Staff advocates for the patients and their families, while management is looking at the bottom line.

Remember what it was like to work in the positions you now manage. The problems you noted as a "worker" are still there, and you can now do something about them.

48 Other Employee Reviews for Denver Health and Hospital Authority (View Most Recent)

Worked with Denver Sheriffs Departmentt at Denver Justice Center.

Former Employee - Staff RN in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Health and Hospital Authority full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working With Correctional Care Wasn't easy but was fulfilling. Denver Health paid Great wages.

Cons

The type of people and management skills , I had to work with.

To be more professional and personable to all staff.

Psychiatric Unit

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Health and Hospital Authority full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many of the staff was dedicated when I worked there a few years ago. The system of the doctors taking care of their orders and it going to the pharmacy who further took care of any problems, then the nurses checking the orders off on the Pixus was a plus. The Pixus was efficient and medications were in the PIxus. Pay was better than many other places around town. I was there when Dr. Grabow was in charge of the hospital, and she made us feel proud.

Cons

Middle management was not progressive, was punitive, clicky, had their favorites, and did not spend time teaching new staff. They did not promote new staff succeeding unless you were in their click. Some people were written up for minor things that others got away with. Some rules seemed very harsh/strict. I felt someone could get in trouble by hearsay, and when one would defend oneself it did not help. This happened to me.

Smile some. Loosen up and help people who are in learning curves to decrease anxiety rather than increase it, and weed people out. I saw a former RN who transferred to another unit at DH and H who told me after the four years I have been gone hardly any of the regular staff is left. Revamp management classes where they are staff friendly and lift up staff to succeed, and evaluate which middle management are meeting this criteria. Be a role model in this attitude

There are newer employer reviews for Denver Health and Hospital Authority