Denver Public Schools

www.dpsk12.org

Ship of fools

Current Employee - Teacher (Special Education)  in  Denver, CO
Current Employee - Teacher (Special Education) in Denver, CO

Pros

DPS is a great place to get experience in settings that you won't see in other school districts. It is easy to find a job, especially if you are going through an alternative licensure program.

Cons

Too many teachers are burned out and retired on the job years ago. Administration has no backbone, and allows behavior that I would have never imagined before working in the schools. Kids move between schools a lot. The Pro-Comp system is a joke, and is gamed just like anything else in education.

You know the difference between right and wrong. Start expecting your teachers to act like professionals. You know what real academic progress looks like. Start expecting your students to grow into successful citizens.

Other reviews for Denver Public Schools

Good Experience as Long Term Substitute Teacher

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

The school I worked in was high-performing, and the entire staff and administration provided support and encouragement in maintaining high standards of teaching. I felt valued by my principal, and although I was only a sub, felt included in the school.

Cons

The amount of professional development provided was basically adequate, but left me wanting more guidance and support.

Also, even though I was only a long term sub, I would have appreciated a little more feedback about how I was performing.

The only feedback I can think of is that I wish the district could afford to hire more teachers! It is really difficult to find a job in DPS right now (as a brand new teacher).

Food sevice worker make and serve cafeteria food to students

Former Employee - Food Service Worker  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Food Service Worker in Denver, CO

Pros

Good hours, can work a second job if you have one in afternoon or evening

Cons

Only a part time job, lots of cleaning and washing dishes, need to wear a hairnet.

Have a teacher stand outside the door as students enter lunch line to deal with pushing and disrespect to each other and staff.

There are newer employer reviews for Denver Public Schools.

Worked for Denver Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!