Descartes Systems

www.descartes.com
  www.descartes.com
There are newer employer reviews for Descartes Systems

Tumultuous place to be on the Sales and Marketing side of the house

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Descartes Systems

Pros

It's a job, which is good in this time of slow economic growth. There is a good bit of autonomy (which is also a negative, which I will outline under Cons). Benefits are good. Co-workers are nice and I made a few good, lasting relationships. Smart product people (developers, engineers, and product managers).

Cons

The company had 5+ Sales and Marketing complete re-orgs since 2000 from what I understood via very reliable sources. For proof of this, I randomly met a friend of a friend who had worked both at Descartes in a similar role and at another company I was with. He was at Descartes 3 years earlier and echoed the feeling of it being a chaotic environment.

Descartes is a "product" organization and doesn't really, truly, deeply believe in the value of sales and marketing. There's a reason their revenue had been stagnant over the course of several years. I saw numerous middle management changes in 2 years, and of course very senior management people are never going to take a look in the mirror and ask "What's the common denominator here?"

As for middle management, I would have out-of-town bosses visit and spend less than 10 minutes with me before jetting off. I once went 3 weeks without speaking to anyone on my team. The CEO, Art, wouldn't even acknowledge that I existed when in the same room as him (and I'm a social person and made a concerted effort to make contact). Then one time, a senior VP publicly acknowledged the efforts of every person who contributed to a major S&M event- except for me. I worked my butt off and my efforts were recognized by all the others on my team except for him. Admittedly, I was laid off weeks later as the next-to-last from my "class" on the Sales and Marketing ferris wheel, so that may have been his way of avoiding eye contact. Still, a little humanity and thankfulness for making him look good would have been nice and respectful.

Just a terrible fit for me with atrocious upper management who have obviously sucked up to the Board to the point of not having to produce results or treat sales and marketing with respect for their abilities. Despite the doom and gloom, it was good work experience, it paid the bills, and I enjoyed my co-workers, and it's good to end on a positive note.

See above.

12 Other Employee Reviews for Descartes Systems (View Most Recent)

ok

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Descartes Systems

Pros

good people, diverse experience and products

Cons

too much work, not enough people

more resources

Skip this place unless you are desperate for a job.

Former Employee - Staff (Too Small to Say Exactly) in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Staff (Too Small to Say Exactly) in Marietta, GA

I worked at Descartes Systems

Pros

You get a pay check.
    Free coffee
    If you are lucky, it will be a short commute
    any port in a storm (it's better than not job at all)

Cons

Company policy is at least 4 years between pay increases of near nothing.
    Some managers will treat you with respect others lie to your face to manipulate you to work more.
    Company stated policy is to squeeze "resources" you like a lemons

At least try to show some appreciation for the people making the company run. AND actually know what your managers are doing, some manage people like personal servants but not in front of you.

There are newer employer reviews for Descartes Systems